Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tiempo de Alamosa (veinte)

Date: 08/30/15 13:42
Tiempo de Alamosa (veinte)
Author: BoilingMan

Alamosa Time!
Photo 1.  Earl's eye view (EEV).
Photo 2.  Oiling about at the turn in La Veta.
Photo 3.  Waiting on time in La Veta to head home.  That's Stevo de W in the cab and Earl on the ground.  I really like this photo in B&W.  My apologies to whoever's Subaru it was I vaporized (Photoshopped) in the parking lot.  It was cramping the ambiance.
Photo 4.  I know, I know- out of focus...   but I still like it.  Earl & The Lieutenant swapped cushions going home.
Photo 5.  This is The Lieutenant, right?
Photo 6.  This one cracks me up.  Not sure why.
SR

Date: 08/30/15 13:44
Re: Tiempo de Alamosa (veinte)

Date: 08/30/15 16:21
Author: tomstp

That Alamosa - La Veta run was a cracker jack.  Just loved it behind steam.  Damn shame they are not using it any more and from what I have seen it has drastically shortened the diesel powered passenger   train run over the pass now.  Some how that spells  m-o-n-e-y.  I made one diesel run over it. ( I had ridden behind steam many times)   I'll not go back unless they put steam   back on it..

Date: 08/30/15 17:16
Author: Earlk

Yep that would be "Lieutenant Dan" Adler (you remember Lieutenant Dan from "Forest Gump", right?)  OK then...  Dan was working on his engineer card so I let him run home.  BTW that spot with Adler running is "Natural Cut".  That cut in the hill was not blasted, It came that way.  On the uphill side you can see where they widened out things a bit.

I loved running over La Veta.  You had it all there: fast running (30 across the Valley) and on your hands and knees slugging it out up the 3% out of La Veta.  It was a great place to run a steam locomotive. Too bad steam is gone now.  Just goes to show, you never take anything for granted, and expect it to be there forever.

Date: 08/30/15 17:42

I think the reason I find that last shot so amusing is the look on your face- you're thinking of something funny to say. You haven't said it yet...
But you're thinking it
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds