Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > CVSR Steam in the Valley

Date: 08/31/15 16:16
CVSR Steam in the Valley
Author: howeld

My extended family is going to go on the Steam in the Vally on the CVSR with NKP 765 next month.  We have two train-crazy 5 year olds going who want to see a real steam train.  The train is leaving from Brecksville Station for a 2 hour round trip.  I've never been to the CVSR, we tried two years ago but gov shutdown cancelled that. 
How far will the train go? 
Any particular locations to be on the look out for? 
We are planning on getting the open window coaches so that we ( Ok, so I) can hear the engine better. 
Anyone have any photos from CVSR that I can share with my family.  They really liked the photo on the Ft Wayne Historical Society website. 
Thanks
Derek  

Date: 08/31/15 19:19
Re: CVSR Steam in the Valley
Author: randgust

I went to the runs out of Boston Mills last year, and it was FANTASTIC.  The ride is short, and so-so, but the entire area is roped off to ticket holders only (including parking), you can only get in with a ticket, and they ran photo runby after photo runby after photo runby.

Well worth the price of the ticket.   Highly recommend if you want to see it work, not chase it, get the kids up close to see it, etc.   Oh, and get a ride.

Here's my runby video:  https://youtu.be/Z5ZzgICqxGI

I also rode NKP765 Buffalo-Corning, and didn't get a decent shot all day, nice ride though.

Date: 08/31/15 19:51
Author: trainsfireengine

I was just inside of the open window cars today at Midwest Railway Preservation Society and I have to agree with you riding behind steam in a sealed up air conditioned box takes all of the fun out of it. The two cars are NKP 90 and 62 and they are both day coaches from the 30's. 62 is a six axle car with a partitioned smoking section and 90 is a full day coach. Both cars have walk-over seats so that passengers can face forward regardless of the direction of the car. MRPS has owned the cars for about fifty years and we have tried to keep them as original as possible. On some of the days there are trips originating out of Akron and that will be a longer and more exciting ride because there is a hill coming out of the valley near Akron. CVSR usually places the 90 and 62 right behind the locomotive so you get the full benefit of the open windows. There is a downside to that though, you also get the cinders so you may want to have safety goggles with you. For anyone else reading this that wants to buy tickets the price for the 90 and 62 is only two bucks more than the regular coach ticket, On days when 765 is running out of Akron there are only two trips scheduled compared to three trips a day when they depart out of Brecksville.

Date: 08/31/15 21:16
Author: The_Chief_Way

God Bless open window coaches. They are such a rare item these days.

Date: 09/02/15 20:01
Author: CR6079

The open air cars are nice but don't dare stick any body part out the window,got scolded but the car attendant while just trying to take a picture.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1761 seconds