Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Steam & Excursion > Verde Canyon Railroad trip

Date: 09/27/15 08:32
Verde Canyon Railroad trip
Author: px320

Yesterday good friends Karl and Bobbi joined Su and I for a day trip on the Verde Canyon Railroad.. It's only 65 miles from where we live in the Rim Country of Arizona so it makes for a nice drive to and from Clarkdale, AZ.

Here are some pics of the trip.  The Verde Canyon is truly spectacular and the trip is one of the best, especially in First Class.

Pic 1 - Bobbi is taking in the scenery as the train winds its way towards the entrance to the canyon.
Pic 2 - Steep canyon​​​ walls are the rich red color so famous in the Sedona area. Sedona is a few miles east of this location.
Pic 3 - Lush vegetation conceals the river​. Trees are just starting to change color.

Date: 09/27/15 08:36
Re: Verde Canyon Railroad trip

Pic 4 - We've had a good monsoon here in Arizona and the river is flowing at a good rate.
Pic 5 - Big curves in big country as the train exits the canyon on the way back to Clarkdale.
Pic 6 - This is the largest bridge on the line.​

Date: 09/27/15 08:38

The railroad stays high as the river drops away.  The RR grade is relatively easy.

Date: 09/27/15 08:49
Author: ajax247

Nice!!!

Date: 09/27/15 09:43
Author: Wacky-roger1942

You done did gooood.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 09/27/15 12:03
Author: howeld

How long of train do they run?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/27/15 12:12
Author: unseenthings

It's a nice long ride, great operation, I would encourange anyone who hasn't visit it to make the trip if they are in the area.

Date: 09/27/15 13:01

Yesterday there were 16 passenger and open excursion cars, 1 caboose and one power car.

Date: 09/27/15 13:53
Author: Gumcoach

I would highly encourage folks to take this trip if they get a chance. It's about a 4 hour trip. They couple an open gondola type car with each coach so you have the option of moving between inside and out but I'd encourage riding outside. When we did the trip a few years back our train even got paced by a bald eagle...talk about cool!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/28/15 00:11
Author: dan

nice to see the equipment from Laramie still going.

Date: 09/28/15 09:57
Author: cchan006

Great report!

I did a chase and ride 3 years ago, and loved it. Verde Canyon Railroad caters to local tourism (Sedonna is nearby, after all) which is a good thing if you're taking non-railfan company.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds