Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF Locos at CSRM

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/30/15 21:50
ATSF Locos at CSRM
Author: PhillipJohnson

Looks like something may finally be done with the poor 2925 and 5021 that have been rusting away outside for 29 years. Found this post on the CSRM Facebook page a couple days ago.

I'm going to be hopeful and look forward to next summer when they hopefully have a fresh coat of black paint on them. At least the jacketing was removed and "jewelry" safely stored.

----Begin Quote---
Today our railroad crew brought AT&SF American class locomotive 5021 into our Railyards in Old Sacramento to test our switch configuration as a prelude to moving our two Santa Fe locos into Old Sacramento.

They currently reside on our tracks on the levee south of town and sadly they've been subject to a lot of cosmetic vandalism. Mechanically they're fine but they get tagged quite often. By moving them up here we can keep a better eye on them and we can interpret them.

The work involves moving equipment to make enough room for the equipment while still accommodating our railroad uses as well as painting the locos so they look presentable. With luck, we might have the locos on site by the end of 2015.

We're delighted to observe that the loco can pass the switch with no apparent problems. This is great news!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/15 21:52 by PhillipJohnson.

Date: 09/30/15 22:09
Re: ATSF Locos at CSRM
Author: BoilingMan

I don't think they're outside.  I think they were moved into the shops several years ago when they restored the transfer table.
SR

Date: 10/01/15 01:07
Author: The_Chief_Way

Oh, but they've been outside as stated.  South of the museum.  Looked like hell. What an embarassment for 
Santa Fe people.

Date: 10/01/15 02:36

Whatever.
My point is: given that the locomotives are currently inside the old SP shop, this quoted message doesn't make much sense.
It's really an odd message. Using 5021 to test a switch? What switch?
To move them to Old Sac?
And what, put them back outdoors again?
Moving equipment to make room for equipment? (??)
The goal is to better watch after them? Better that inside with the rest of the stored collection?
They've been doing a lot of work lately in preparation to finally open the shops to the public. It doesn't make sense that they'd remove the two biggest attractions first.
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/15 03:01 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/01/15 04:38
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Whats the business about ' interpreting them ' ? Sounds like fancy talk jiberish.

Date: 10/01/15 06:55
Author: CPR_4000

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>     Whats the business about ' interpreting
> them ' ? Sounds like fancy talk jiberish.

Must be curator-ese for "gazing longingly upon." And since when is a 2-10-4 an "American class?"

Date: 10/01/15 07:08
Author: The_Chief_Way

Who says the ATSF 2925 and 5021 are "currently inside" the shop?   I don't think so. Somebody please 
prove me wrong. Thank you. 

Date: 10/01/15 07:26
Author: Frisco1522

It is heartbreaking that these two complete engines, which could have been returned to service with a minimum of work under the FRA regs back then have been basically been trashed from day one out there.
I've never been to the museum and I realize they have done a terrific job on the inside, but don't just keep acquiring things and leaving them to rot.  That's what happened at the Museum of Transportation early on and it makes it exceedingly hard to catch up once you have exhibits rotting and falling apart faster than you can restore them.
Some of this mentality frankly baffles me.

Date: 10/01/15 07:40
Author: tomstp

Yep, someone needs to tell that fella that his "american class" is a "Texas class" engine.

Date: 10/01/15 07:43

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> Who says the ATSF 2925 and 5021 are "currently
> inside" the shop?   I don't think so. Somebody
> please 
> prove me wrong. Thank you. 

That was me. I'm not 100% on this. About a year or so back, when they moved the passenger platforms in Sac over next to the shops, I wandered over and had a look inside. Virtually every track in there was filled, and I thought the two ATSF locos were in there- but as I said I'm not 100%.
As to the museum acquiring more than they could maintain.
The ATSF collection was foisted on them during the SP-SF "merger". The CSRM facility was designed around the collection they already had and the ATSF stuff was dumped on them w/o any kind of funding to maintain it.
Bad planning: Yes
CSRM's fault: Not really.
SR

Ah! Okay, I found them on Google Earth- a little south of the Tower Bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/15 08:05 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/01/15 07:44
Author: HotWater

To be clear about that "Santa Fe collection", it was actually "THRUST" upon them by then President Robb Krebs, as he wanted EVERYTHING gone from that roundhouse in New Mexico. The CSRM had no proper place to store nor display everything, thus EVERYTHING was simply "left outside". The copper thieves quickly stole everything from the inside of that beautiful "Doodle-Bug", among various other things that sat outside for many, many, many years. To my knowledge, the two big steam locomotives are STILL outside, south along the river.

Date: 10/01/15 07:44
Author: Realist

They are outside, and have been for decades.

Date: 10/01/15 08:30
Author: LJohnson

Realist Wrote:
> They are outside, and have been for decades.

They are down along the river and have never been inside !

Posted from Android

Date: 10/01/15 09:31
Author: PhillipJohnson

When I was out there last year, both engines were still sitting south of the museum on the siding.  You could see them as you rode the excursion, it would pass them.

Attached is the pictures from the CSRM facebook post, which even states that these engines are sitting outside, and the goal is to have them "closer to the museum" where security is better by end of 2015.  They didn't say anything about moving them inside.  It appears they only moved 5021, I'm assuming b/c it has the longer rigid wheelbase so they could "test the switches."

Date: 10/01/15 11:29
Author: CPRR

Nothing a cubic amount of money can not cure.....  Lets ask Jerry for it. He likes spending on stupid things, like HSR.

Date: 10/01/15 13:47
Author: dpudave

Phillip Johnson's photos, though I thank him for posting them, almost cost me my lunch. Depressing is the only word. d

Date: 10/01/15 15:03
Author: MJV1988

They were both outside still in late July and you could see them from I80 when driving by. They are both horrible looking as these photos I took in Jan. show. Pretty sad!!!

Date: 10/01/15 16:43
Author: CPR_4000

Nice to see the future preservationists all over the 5021. Nice of them to donate the paint, too!

Date: 10/01/15 20:59
Author: steamdiesel

The Santa Fe engines are too long to fit in the erection shop. A erection shop was where steam locomotives are built and rebuilt. Only the steam locomotive is in this building. The tender would go to the tender shop. The current curator told us on a tour many years ago that they cannot fit those engines with the tender coupled. The tender would need to go on the next track.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/01/15 22:22
Author: davew833

CSRM has de-accessioned other pieces to other museums and organizations, why don't they do the same with these? It's just heartbreaking to see how much they've deteriorated.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0834 seconds