Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&TS yesterday and today

Date: 10/03/15 17:43
C&TS yesterday and today
Author: Bob3985

Yesterday, Oct. 2nd, I got to make the trip from Antonito to Chama just like last year with a group of my friends. Here are a few photos from the adventure.
First is three of the C&TS locos sitting at Chama in the early morning light fired up. After this we boarded the bus to Antonito to ride the train back.
Second is our train leaving Antonito with the 487 on the point.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/15 18:14 by Bob3985.

Date: 10/03/15 17:51
Re: C&TS yesterday and today

In photo 4 I swapped jobs with Jeff and he took over the injector while I threw the black diamonds in the fire box. I grabbed a shot of Jeff in between loading the firebox.
Photo 5; We got to Osier and I had lunch with our gang and Jeff invited me back up in the cab to ride to Cumbres and help them a little more. The previous engineer, Jose swapped trains with the engineer from Chama and Jose ran the pother train back to Antonito. Our new engineer, I forgot his name, took over at Osier and off we went headed for Cumbres.
It was a special adventure for me to get to ride and help on the locomotive. Jeff and I have become good friends and I am learning of his trips around the world over the years to visit other railroads. Thanks to them and the General Manager Ed Burdette who allowed me to experience the feelings of the past on these trains.
I plan to return with the gang again next year to experience this all over again.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/03/15 17:59

Then this morning on the way back to Cheyenne we stopped in Antonito and watched the westbound get ready to depart. But we noticed they had an extra ready to depart. It was a work train carrying more passengers in the few seats available.
Photo 1; shows locomotive 483 on the point of the work train awaiting the passenger trains departure so they can pull out on the main and take water prior to their departure.
Photo 2; shows the head end of the work train.
Photo 3; shows the two cabooses on the rear end from the front porch of the gift shop.
I hope you enjoyed these photos. By next year I hope to have a new digital SLR and take some photos with it.

I always enjoy the aura of railroads and always have from the time I hired out on the ROck Island to the time I was a part of the UP's steam crew. And now even in my retirement having the opportunity to enjoy trips like these.

Thanks for riding along.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/03/15 18:16

Here is a photo of Jose, our first engineer out of Antonito. He ran to Osier and traded with the engineer out of Chama.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds