Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > WMS

Date: 10/20/15 08:49
WMS
Author: UP3806

My wife and I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip from Chicago to Cumberland, MD to ride the WMS on Friday, stopping for an overnight in Tiffin, OH. How far is the shop facility where the 1309 is being restored from the WMS station in Cumberland and is it railfan-friendly? Any recommendations for restaurants in either city?
Thanks,
Tom

Date: 10/20/15 09:15
Re: WMS
Author: Tominde

The shop is in Ridgley West Virginia.    But don't let that scare you.   It's maybe a mile away across the river.   However I found it to be not so easy to navigate the streets.  .   I'm sure locals will steer you.  I have the shop railfan friendly, but do check in the office.  

Date: 10/20/15 11:28
Author: P

Are you taking the Capitol Limited there?  Seems like the perfect opportunity for a ride on Amtrak.

Date: 10/20/15 11:40
Author: UP3806

Driving there this time. Took the Capital both ways last February on a round trip from Chicago to Miami. Hope to stop in Deshler and Fostoria eastward and New Haven, IN on the way back. Hope to see the 765 at New Haven if the shops are open this weekend as mentioned in the website.

Tom

Date: 10/20/15 13:56
Author: mdogg

UP3806 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Driving there this time. Took the Capital both
> ways last February on a round trip from Chicago to
> Miami. Hope to stop in Deshler and Fostoria
> eastward and New Haven, IN on the way back. Hope
> to see the 765 at New Haven if the shops are open
> this weekend as mentioned in the website.
>
> Tom

Typically, there are people at the New Haven shops working on the weekends, especially Saturdays. I'd call first during the weekdays to be sure - best time to call is from 9-5, excluding lunch time.

Date: 10/20/15 19:52
Author: pennsy3750

UP3806 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any recommendations
> for restaurants in either city?

When you get to Cumberlan, try the Baltimore Street Grill.  Its located on the closed-to-auto-traffic portion of its namesake street.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds