Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > Just Barely Time To Catch The Passing Train Deep In The Canyon!

Date: 11/21/15 03:41
Just Barely Time To Catch The Passing Train Deep In The Canyon!
Author: LoggerHogger

The art of railroad photography while practiced by many, there are just a few folks that approach this art in a very unique way.  This photographer was one of those special ones that teach us all a lesson.

I wish I know the name of this photographer so he could get the credit that he justly deserves.  Not only did he take the time to ride one of the WP freights in the Feather River Canyon in August 1947, he brought along his camera to record scenes like this one.  Even more than that, he found an angle to shoot that most of us would have missed.

I don't know if the photographers train is moving or the train headed by WP #254, or both, but this is some very good camera work under difficult conditions.  Most of just would be lucky to capture this scene this well today with our new fancy digital cameras with all their modern refinements.

All I can say is, "Well Done".

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/15 03:48 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/21/15 05:42
Re: Just Barely Time To Catch The Passing Train Deep In The Canyo
Author: Tominde

No idea what is really going on, just a neat photo.  It appears to be perhpas a road forman looking back at the camera in the cab of 254.  Frieman seems to be just counting rocks in the ballast.  I'm guessing both trains stopped.   That's my 2¢.

Date: 11/21/15 07:43
Author: tomstp

The " RF" could  be the head brakeman.

Date: 11/21/15 07:50
Author: GRNDMND

Many wish you could get the opportunity to frame up a photo with our "fancy digital" cameras like this today. More than likely you would be headed to jail. It is as you state however, a great photograph!

KC

Date: 11/21/15 08:28
Author: TexasRocket

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No idea what is really going on, just a neat
> photo.  It appears to be perhpas a road forman
> looking back at the camera in the cab of 254. 
> Frieman seems to be just counting rocks in the
> ballast.  I'm guessing both trains stopped.  
> That's my 2¢.

Perhaps they are doing a roll-by.

Date: 11/21/15 09:37
Author: up833

Third photo down..looks like it might be the same guy with the "white:" hat.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2712853,2714412#msg-2714412
Roger Beckett

Date: 11/21/15 18:08
Author: ppcx032

Just west of the Keddie roundhouse, Train on the main appears to be stopped WP engine men were known to wear white kromer caps.

Date: 12/03/15 07:58
Author: bblake6746

Could this be East of East Keddie? If it was west of the Roundhouse would there not be the Mainline and 4 yard tracks?
Curious??
Thanks Brian

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1019 seconds