Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Steam & Excursion > It's As If This Steamer Encountered A Time Machine Along The Way!

Date: 11/28/15 04:21
It's As If This Steamer Encountered A Time Machine Along The Way!
Author: LoggerHogger

Well here is what could be the ultimate "Before & After" photos for a steam locomotive!

Initially built by Lima in April, 1905 as their construction number 1509 this 2-truck wood burning Shay was first sent for display at the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition in Portland, Oregon.  After that she was purchased by the Doty L:umber & Shingle Co. for logging service out of Doty, Washington.

In the first photo we see her in a classic logging pose lettered as Doty #3.  Her logging and train crew are more than proud to pose by this once famous display engine from the Lewis & Clark Exposition.

So what on  earth happened to her by the time of  the second photo?

In 1947, her logging days at Doty were over and she was sold to Dulien Steel Products of Seattle, WA an equipment dealer.  There she was converted to diesel-hydraulic power and resold to Marone Mill Co. who used her as the mill switcher in the configuration we see in the second photo.  She worked out well and when the Mill closed in 1955, she went back to Dulien who continued to use her for a few more years themselves before she was finally scrapped.

I wonder how anxious the loggers in the first photo would be to pose with her looking like she does in the second photo?

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/15 04:32 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/28/15 07:46
Re: It's As If This Steamer Encountered A Time Machine Along The
Author: Frisco1522

Sacrilege!

Date: 11/28/15 08:24
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Nice job on the reuse of the sand dome.

Date: 11/28/15 08:34
Author: asheldrake

amazing photos and story Martin.  especially the Lewis and Clark exposition part....and the picture of the misery whips on the pilot.   wow, again this proves that loggers were very creative.   Arlen

Date: 11/28/15 08:42
Author: LoggerHogger

Arlen,

Check out the rooster used to couple the 2 log cars in the bottom left.  That is also an old logging trick.

Martin

Date: 11/28/15 09:31
Author: SP4360

But will it do 88 miles per hour?

Date: 11/28/15 09:43
Author: tomstp

Well, if that isn't  the damndest thing I ever saw.

Date: 11/28/15 10:39
Author: Harlock

There was more than one geared locomotive defiled and bastardized in this way towards the ends of their lives.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 11/28/15 10:51
Author: hawkinsun

Well,  as horrible as the end result looks, it probably could have worked out pretty well.  With modern day diesel engines, and hydraulics it could still be working.   I sure like the original a lot better even though it took way longer to warm up in the morning.  

Thanks for the photos, and please keep them coming.  They are my high light on TOs.

Craig Hanson
  Vay, Idaho

Date: 11/28/15 11:11
Author: asheldrake

Missed the rooster......lots of great detail in that first picture Martin.   Arlen

Date: 11/28/15 11:47
Author: sixbit

Martin:

That is one ugly loco in the second photo. She may have worked but that is perhaps the ugliest loco I've ever seen. Certainly the worst remodel of a Shay!

I suspect the crew from the first photo would have let the remodeled shay "get away" with a sufficient number of loads behind her, somewhere on a steep grade and let gravity do the rest ; )

John

Date: 11/28/15 12:35
Author: hawkinsun

Maybe the hybrid shay locomotive was the initial inspiration for the Krauss Maffei and ALCO C-643DH diesel hydraulics, since this beast was built several years ahead of them.  Those didn't last too long either.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 11/28/15 14:29
Author: nycman

Arlen, thanks for reminding me that those monster saws being carried on the pilot in pic 1 were "misery whips," and I'll bet they deserved that nickname.  Those lumberjacks were tough.

Date: 11/28/15 16:21
Author: DNRY122

In David Myrick's "Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California", there's a photo of a 4-6-0 on the Ludlow & Southern that had the worn-out boiler replaced with a Holt tractor engine (Holt was one of the predecessors of Caterpillar).  The project was never completed, so the "superstructure" for this beast was never built.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds