Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Steam & Excursion > 611 dynamometer results?

Date: 12/01/15 01:27
611 dynamometer results?
Author: typebangin

The 611 thread below made me wonder if the dynamometer info from the 4th of July weekend trips was ever made public?  611 pulled the NS Research car all 3 days on the public excursions over Blue Ridge and Christiansburg grades this summer.  I believe it was being used to see how much drawbar HP 611 developed.  Just curious...

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

Date: 12/01/15 06:09
Re: 611 dynamometer results?
Author: feltonhill

NS has not released the results of the tests.  There is a lot of data to be analysed and it may be a priority problem.  I don't know what the reason is.

Date: 12/01/15 09:42
Author: johnacraft

typebangin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 611 thread below made me wonder if the dynamometer info from the 4th of July weekend trips was ever made public? 
> 611 pulled the NS Research car all 3 days on the public excursions over Blue Ridge and Christiansburg grades this summer. 
> I believe it was being used to see how much drawbar HP 611 developed.

I saw some raw numbers mentioned elsewhere that tracked well with the steam-era calculated numbers, but haven't seen any final results.

Conditions weren't ideal for recording the highest possible horsepower output. Horsepower is a function of speed, and the J was designed to lead 12-car trains up the grades at track speed, not lug 23 cars at a walking pace. The Sunday trip to Lynchburg probably produced the highest consistent recorded horsepower - the train was moving at a good speed near the top in both directions. Saturday's trip might also have produced some good numbers west of Montgomery tunnel, where the speed increased.

Date: 12/02/15 15:26
Author: feltonhill

It should be noted that the above curves are calculated, as N&W stated. In the original report, N&W noted that the curves were theoretical, but the explanatory note has been removed.  As a result, these curves do not reflect actual performance.  They are calculated using the so-called Baldwin Method, which is OK but very conservative for modern steam locomotives.  the Class J could do better than this.  N&W also noted this in the test report that contained the above graph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0309 seconds