Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Steam & Excursion > What a Pity!

Date: 01/31/16 10:02
What a Pity!
Author: ValvePilot

Baldwin built some beautiful Northerns for the ACL in the very late 30's. They were designed to handle
20+ car florida trains at upwards of 100mph!
But they developed Hammer Throw and the ACL could never quite get the bugs out. The class was restricted
to 75mph over their service lives.

Date: 01/31/16 10:12
Re: What a Pity!
Author: SR-RL_Nr_10

A good web page about this class of engine is by Hugh Odom, also the web master of the Ultimate Steam Page.  While he also talks about the driver inbalance, his numbers are higher than the one you referenced. 

http://www.trainweb.org/aclr1/

Date: 01/31/16 12:29
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Date: 01/31/16 14:13
Author: dbinterlock

Another thing of beauty!

Date: 02/01/16 13:41
Author: The_Chief_Way

Please elaborate on the whistle above. What type is it?

Date: 02/01/16 19:15
Author: crackerjackhoghead

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please elaborate on the whistle above. What type
> is it?

It's a Nathan "steamboat" 3-chime off of one of the ACL R-1's shown on the page in the link posted above. I got it in a trade and the previous owner said all thet he knew about it was that it had either come from the FEC or the ACL, but wasn't sure which. It was a basket case when I got it and wound up needing several new castings and a lot of machining. When I disassembled it, to do the work, I found "ACL" cast into one of the parts. As shown on the web page in the link, The R-1's orginally had an ACL home built "hooter" whistle which was later replaced with the 3-chime. It would have layed over the other way on the engine but I mounted it with the "business" side up so the workings could be seen. It has a flange mount for mounting on a manifold or the side of the dome and a Viloco pneumatic actuator. It weighs in right at  a hundred pounds, not including the stand!

I surmised that it was off of one of the R-1's after studying many photo's and not finding any other ACL engines with big "steamboat" whistles on them. It's past is a bit of a mystery though. I could see, by the wear and corrosion, that the valve had, originally, had a 6-chime bell on it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds