Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sherman Hill, the Super Bowl of steam

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/07/16 10:09
Sherman Hill, the Super Bowl of steam
Author: Copy19

Back in 1864 when Grenville Dodge encountered a band of Crow Indians in the foothills west of Cheyenne,  he stumbled on what became the way over the mountains for Union Pacific.  Details of the encounter vary, depending on whose history you read, but the ridge, later nicknamed the "gangplank"  became part of UP's fabled Sherman Hill, Wyoming crossing.  Fortunately for us, one of the photographers who haunted the Hill during the great days of big steam was Richard H. Kindig.

I painted this scene based on one of Mr. Kindig's photographs for my longtime friend, UP steam historian Gordon "Sandy" McCulloh.  The painting shows a westbound Union Pacific train struggling upgrade at Lone Tree on the Gangplank.  The helper on the train apparently had developed some sort of problem and two helpers drifting eastbound downgrade back to Cheyenne were called on to couple to the front of the stalled train and help pull it up the grade.  So we are treated to the unusual sight of tenders leading and a great smoke display to gladden the heart of any railfan long before the days of Tier 4. 

Today you can pull off Interstate 80 at the Lone Tree historical marker, take a few steps away from the monument  and you will see this same scene, unchanged, except of course for the trains themselves.
JB

Date: 02/07/16 10:18
Re: Sherman Hill, the Super Bowl of steam
Author: refarkas

Beautiful artwork. I feel as though I'm almost there!
Bob

Date: 02/07/16 10:36
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Yes, this is ARTWORK ! Not done in day by any means.

Date: 02/07/16 10:47
Author: SD45X

Looks better than the picture :)

Date: 02/07/16 11:15
Author: coach

Great work!  It's so hard to paint well, especially of anything that disappears into a horizon, like a train.  The details get harder and harder to paint, but great work here.  Modern abstract artisits are nothing compared to this kind of work.

Date: 02/07/16 11:16
Author: LarryB

WOW!  I can only imagine what that must have sounded like.

Date: 02/07/16 11:47
Author: callum_out

Excellent piece of work JB, I paused for a moment to try and figure out what was wrong with
the photograph!

Out

Date: 02/07/16 11:55

It's beeen many years since I did this painting and before I did the scan I too puzzled over the three smoke plumes and four engines. I e-mailed Sandy and we recalled the story about the helper in front of the articulated having issues.
JB

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent piece of work JB, I paused for a moment
> to try and figure out what was wrong with
> the photograph!
>
> Out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/16 11:59 by Copy19.

Date: 02/07/16 11:59
Author: howard

WOW!

Date: 02/07/16 12:20
Author: railstiesballast

JB:
 A refreshing and very real change from the traditional 3/4 view of a locomotive's face.
In a sense it might not be  a traditionalist's definition of good art except for the background information.
Or as they say in writing: good fiction has to make sense; reality sometimes makes lousy plots and compositions.
You have brightened the day of many TO readers, thank you.
RTB

Date: 02/07/16 12:52
Author: tomstp

You have posted several of your paintings.  This one, as far as I am concerned, is the best one I have seen. Great work and a terrific scene once the non smoker is explained.

Date: 02/07/16 12:53
Author: jbwest

That is really good.  Interesting scene of course, but the rendition/style/technique is very nicely done, about as good as any railroad art I have seen including from some of the greats.  

JBWX

Date: 02/07/16 13:29
Author: glibby

Outstanding work of art depicting an amazing scene.  Thanks for posting!

Date: 02/07/16 14:38
Author: jderoo

Excellent painting John! Thanks.

Date: 02/07/16 15:10
Author: DKay

Stunning work JB,just beautiful.
Regards,DK

Date: 02/07/16 18:38
Author: FiveChime

John:

Great stuff! My F unit paintings must of been a sintch compared this this one!

Thanks for sharing with us here.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 02/07/16 20:30
Author: Bob3985

Nice rendition of Dick's photograph John. Thanks for posting.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/07/16 20:36

Actually Jim, F and E units are very difficult to draw.  They are either right on, or very wrong.   That's why I enjoy doing Fs especially when I can top off the drawing with black widow colors! 
John Bromley, in howlin' wind Omaha tonight...  Congrats  Broncos!

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John:
>
> Great stuff! My F unit paintings must of been a
> sintch compared this this one!
>
> Thanks for sharing with us here.
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 02/07/16 21:41
Author: wko

Wonderful, what a sight and sound that must have been! Where's a time machine when you need one?
~wko - whaddya mean they haven't been invented?

Date: 02/08/16 07:08
Author: Bob3985

Another great painting by John. I have one hanging prominently in my living room that I personally cherish and I think of John and Pat everytime I look at it. Thank you again John for the generous gesture of giving that to me. It really means a lot. I would post it here but TO turns the verticle format photos sideways and I don't want to be accused to causing nneck issues, LOL.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds