Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Steam & Excursion > Why the 765 Crew is doing it right

Date: 03/26/16 19:38
Why the 765 Crew is doing it right
Author: WRRC

One of the first major boiler projects I had the honor to do in steam world was the 765.   I remember walking on the dirt floor and I remember being told that "this piece of steel is the last original NP piece left in the 765."   A few years ago I had the great honor of doing an interview with the 765 crew, Kelly L. included.  Kelly was also a volunteer at the Ohio Central when I was there, as were so many of the people we see in the post by Kelly earlier this week.  So many to name;  Gary B, Zach Hall, Kelly L. Rich M and the list goes on and on.

No, I am not an insider, I just see a lot of operations as I travel the vast globe.  I see the best and the worst.  One of the reasons that the 765 group is doing so well is that they have mastered the balance between young and old, frail and strong, not-so-smart and wise.  They see the value in each person and the unrefined talent and ability in the same.   They work as a team.  They have a combined vision as a team and they aim for the same goals.   Is it perfect?  Probably not.  Is a good model, you bet.  

One of the problems with our modern social media world is that we aim at and shoot at the bad and we seem to not ever see the good.  I know I am considered the hater and basher on other threads where questions are asked and no answers given.  I have to point out, if the questions about the 765 can be so easily answered and addressed and if we can prove that we can have a civil discussion....why not try to make that the model for all of our discussions?  Why not try to model more of what the 765 guys do in all aspects of the industry?   Maybe we could learn a lot from those who seem to be doing it best.   Just a question....

Kindly,

Date: 03/27/16 05:31
Re: Why the 765 Crew is doing it right
Author: ClassJ604

You are so right . I have said for years that 765 guys are the best volunteer organization I have seen. When it comes to steam locomotives a well balanced outfit.

Date: 03/27/16 05:55
Author: wcamp1472

I totally agree with WRRC....

Except that I only recall one operation that attracts the vitriol here on T.O.
Every other steam-centered discussion is civil, CAN be informative, sometimes is humorous, and has none of the bitter complaints..
I have decided to withhold my further comments about that 'other' operation, in line with WRRC's very appropriate musings.

TODAY.....
I am astounded by the shear number successful steam loco restorations and on-going current projects.There are so many bright spots, in the most unlikely places and in the simplest of facilities.  Dedicated folks have restored so many engines in my lifetime, it's a wonderful thing to see.

The other thing that's awe inspiring is the way that the whole endeavor has a very clear staring point in time, and the early participants have caught the spark of ambition, decided to emulate and have accomplished so much.

What Ross started, lo these many years ago, has been to spread the concept that volunteer groups CAN be the core of any new undertaking.  That there are a limited number of restoration tasks  that are best done  by paid, competent professionals, but MOST of the restoration effort is simply grunt work, dirty work and comraderie.

Make a list of all the engines that have been, or are now under, restoration, and if you additionally list the key players......a few certain names go back to 1968 and into the AFT days.  As WRRC has said, the Ohio Central was one of his favorites.....yet I Iremember  young, hard worker, JJJ, who tirelessly helped out in the Conneaut Roundhouse. He was often times down inside the 759's tender hauling out tons of rust scale. I remember Scott L. as a hard-working youngster who came to Lebanon, NJ every weekend with his dad ---- doing the grunt work, the dirty jobs, the getting into tight places he could squeeze into.

I remember a young, strong  Gary B. helping Doyle and I exchange the water pump from the 779, in Lima, for one off the 759..

What I never saw coming was how wide those folks' spheres-of-influence could spread, in so short a time.  
Current astounding projects are:  the gang in Albuquerque, NM, the C&O engine in Maryland, and so many others.

One of the first start-ups that followed 759's success, was the Fort Wayne guys.  Their determination and their success.
To see them and their crew carrying-on to this day, is gratifying.  They, too, have encouraged many other 'copiers' to undertake their own projects .  Doyle and Joe were early workers in the first days of the 765 ---- spreading the Can-Do attitude that is the core of all these groups of folks.  

It's truly astounding, today,  in 2016, to stand here & watch of how much has been achieved.
In 2018, just around the corner, 1968 wil be 50 years in the past.....OMG!
Count ALL of the "mainline engines" that have been restored and operated, and the countless smaller ones.
That'll put a smile on your face.

So, WRRC  is correct about celebration of successes, and encouraging the practice ignoring the one project that has turned into a 'negativity attractor'.   

For the rest, The future is SO bright, I have to wear sunglasses!

Wes C.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/16 11:16 by wcamp1472.

Date: 03/27/16 09:50
Author: cchan006

WRRC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the problems with our modern social media
> world is that we aim at and shoot at the bad and
> we seem to not ever see the good.  I know I am
> considered the hater and basher on other threads
> where questions are asked and no answers given.

First of all, thank you very much for your insightful posts in the Steam Discussions the past few years. If it makes you feel any better, the haters and bashers (which isn't you) are getting exactly what they are asking for. Lots of talk (HotAir), but no steam. :-)

There's not much you can do for people held prisoner behind the computer (or mobile electronics) screen. They can only enjoy pixelized version of the world through videos and photos of someone else. Even that has been turning snarky lately, folks whining about TO videos not done in the style they demand. I don't expect that kind of mentality to appreciate the passion and effort required to bring steam locomotives to life.

It's nice you point out the organizations that still have the drive to keep steam running on the rails. 

Date: 03/27/16 10:20
Author: bioyans

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What Ross started, lo these many yeas ago, has
> been to spread the concept that volunteer groups
> CAN be the core of any new undertaking.

I would beg to differ that Mr. Rowland was the one who "started" this.  I believe even Mr. Rowland will acknowledge that he was a member of two existing volunteer organizations (Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, and Black River and Western, both in NJ) before starting High Iron Enterprises.  Many of those who were involved with the start of High Iron, and NKP 759, were people he knew from BR&W, including Les Rockefellow, Roger Jursey, and others.

The original concept of BR&W at its current location (in Flemington, as opposed to Chester) was running private excursion trains, over a branch belonging to a Class 1 RR on a weekend "lease" arrangement.  BR&W didn't actually take ownership of the former PRR sections, until the Penn Central merger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/16 10:25 by bioyans.

Date: 03/27/16 11:14
Author: wcamp1472

Often imitated, never duplicated...

When I was talking about  "starting this", I was referring to the change from the old out-and-back. confined tourist rr operations and the privately organizing, running and successfully producing Main-Line excursions using big-az steam locomotives,

Doing that as a private enterprise.  
It was Ross that conceived of using large capable locos, that could be returned to service. He was the one who knew how to conceive of fun trips, where everybody enjoyed them selves.  Every fan trip was an immediate sell out...even the duplicates trips sold out immediately.

He coupled that with early successful trips on the CNJ, added the NKP 759 over PC , round trip to Buffalo, over PC tracks...on and on....

That is the distinction between the two "tourist" operations and Mainline steam.
It was an "order-of-magnitude" of significant scale.  Being a thousand-fold increase....in complexity and scale

What he started was NOT just fixing up tea kettles, but he inspired folks, through DOING IT ----- , that restoring  big beasts
was do-able and that running exciting trips to great destinations could make all sorts of sense.  
His model caught-on and inspired the likes of Bob Claytor to restore the 611 and the 1218.

That there are countless other locomotive's restored is a FACT, and virtually none of those principals behind the restorations ever visited Flemington, NJ.
The pace-setter wasn't Dick Jensen, either..

Wes C.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/16 16:45 by wcamp1472.

Date: 03/28/16 11:17
Author: NKP779

Actually, the 759 WAS the inspiration for the FWRHS.  Three of the Fort Wayne founders saw the Golden Spike Centennial Limited in May 1969 on its westbound trek to KC.  Two of us others saw it when it was pulling the same GSCL eastbound on the NKP through Celina and St. Marys, Ohio (the St. Louis line through Lima, Ohio).  We didn't know each other then but connected at the NKPHTS convention in Fort Wayne in fall 1971. FWRHS was incoporated in Nov. 1972.   The 759 proved that it could be done - i.e., take a locomotive from the dead and bring it back to life.  Of course, the 765 was an especially good one.  Glenn Brendel - whose name is on the 765's tool car - was the brains and set the goals and standards and modus operandi that we still follow today.  Plus we've picked up a lot of dedicated and talented people along the way..........

Date: 03/29/16 18:59
Author: Rich_Melvin

WRRC Wrote:
...One of the reasons that the 765 group is doing so well is that they have mastered the balance between young and old, frail and strong, not-so-smart and wise. They see the value in each person and the unrefined talent and ability in the same.   They work as a team...

It's called a "Succession Plan" and it's working.

Thanks for the kudos, John. You are right - we have a good TEAM, and that's one of the keys to our success. Like any good team, we have players that are good at one position and not so good at others. (You would not want ME wrenching on your steam locomotive, for example!) We try to play to our strengths and get people involved doing things they are naturally good at and interested in. And no single person on the team is indispensable. We've got a good "bench."

765 has been on the steam excursion scene for a long time. We've run over 400 excursions and have hauled over 250,000 people. All without an accident or serious injury. However, like any organization that has been around a long time, some of the people in that organization have also been around a long time. And we ain't gettin' any younger! I have achieved the rather dubious honor of being the "senior" engineer on the 765. All that really means is that at age 69 I'm the oldest guy on the crew. Or, to use John's words, I'm in the "old, frail and not-so-smart" group now!  ;-)

Our late Founder and President Emeritus Glenn Brendel set a high bar when he was in charge. Glenn managed the overhaul project back in the 90's which brought the 765 back for her third career. During that process Glenn demanded a lot from everyone, always with the goal of bringing the 765 back to blueprint specs. He established a legacy that every member of the crew strives to emulate. Glenn never got to see the engine move on to the Norfolk Southern Main Line to run trips for the 21st Century Steam Program. But he is always with us in spirit.

Today, as we look ahead to the 2016 operating season, we do so with a certain degree of pride. Not an arrogant pride, just the quiet confidence that whatever we do, we will do it RIGHT. It's the least we can do to honor Glenn and the 765. Our current president, Bill Otter, the other FWRHS officers and the board of directors all have the same goal. Our "Prime Directive" is a short phrase that Glenn often uttered. It is simply, "Whatever it takes." 

We also honor and respect the men and women of the Lima Locomotive Works who built the 765, and the steam-era engineers on the Nickel Plate Road who ran the Berks in freight service. They are all gone now, but guys like John Tomhafe, John Keller, Clarence Williams, L.C. Meyer and many others are all part of the 765's history. What they did yesterday has enabled us to operate the 765 today. And we will never forget that.

We have one other unique claim to fame that is a source of great pride. The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society has owned and operated the 765 longer than the Nickel Plate Road did! Now THAT'S a Legacy!

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/16 07:21 by Rich_Melvin.

Date: 03/29/16 20:46
Author: Txhighballer

One of the reasons I began working with the 765 crew is that they are indeed THE BEST. From the first time I made inquiries, they took me in amd made me feel at home, and they had no problem with putting me to work once I had gone through their safety program. Rich, Jason, Joe and the many others I met and worked with are a great bunch of guys and girls, and I can't wait to get back up there this year and learn even more about how to get it done the right way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.094 seconds