Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > 611 trip on April 23rd

Date: 04/23/16 12:13
611 trip on April 23rd
Author: sptno

I watched the live video feed from Roanoke today and was amazed how long the consist was.
How many total cars and how many passenger coaches.
Congrats to all involved in getting 611 back under steam again.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/23/16 13:34
Re: 611 trip on April 23rd
Author: UnumProvident101

I think there are 22 cars on that train after I watched a video on youtube

Date: 04/23/16 13:57
Author: Jimbo

20 cars today including the tool car, so 19 passenger carrying cars.  On the Spencer trips there were 22 - the Crescent Harbor and Moultrie were cut out there after the Asheville trip.  611 was early into Roanoke, arriving about 1130 AM.  No diesels.

Date: 04/23/16 14:19

Beautiful consist and even better no sticking diesel(s). 
It's nice to see any steam locomotive do what it was designed to do without any diesel power.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/23/16 14:37
Author: Xander24

sptno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful consist and even better no sticking
> diesel(s). 
> It's nice to see any steam locomotive do what it
> was designed to do without any diesel power.
>
> Pat
> South Austin, TX

I believe someone on here said 20 cars or under and no diesels necessary. Over 20 they have to be added as the rule? Today is great and all, but I would also like to say thank you to both the NS and Mr. Lindsay for when they do have to add diesels, look at the effort they go to to keep them both historic and classy. You got a Southern E Unit and a Southern Heritage unit last weekend. They don't have to do that, but they are going out of their way to try and please everyone, which they never will. It's just class all around these days, and I for one appreciate it. Dome cars in the back of the consist, people whinge. They move them to the front, people whinge. Poor Scott, in the PR department, he's got it rough. But thank God for the guy. Too bad we can't send him out West to fix a certain problem out there. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/16 14:37 by Xander24.

Date: 04/23/16 16:06
Author: LandKruiser

I just watched the 611 pass through Huddleston Va around 4:40 today. She sounded amazing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/23/16 17:01
Author: PlyWoody

Wonderful news, and I hope everybody take note that the NS common stock jumped 10.53% , up $8.70 per share in one day, yesterday.  And it has been climbing almost everyday since January 18Th.  All should try to buy in as it is projected to keep going up, with good honest numbers.  Far more honest numbers than CP false reporting by selling itself off, the previous transcontinental but it sold off it line to the east coast then tries to steal another one.

Date: 04/24/16 09:59

How many passengers can the train carry?
I figure close to between 700 and 800 based on 40 passengers per coach.
It's really nice to see a mainline stream train with diesel locomotives.
Thanks again to all involved.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/24/16 11:37
Author: cchan006

Jimbo Wrote:
> 20 cars today including the tool car, so 19
> passenger carrying cars.  On the Spencer trips
> there were 22 - the Crescent Harbor and Moultrie
> were cut out there after the Asheville trip.  611
> was early into Roanoke, arriving about 1130 AM.
>  No diesels.

Departed Greensboro about 7-10 minutes behind schedule, but already made up time by Danville. I found a more detailed schedule online Friday night, posted in a discussion group, and calculated that the schedule allowed for under ~40 mph (36 mph on the ex-Southern) at faster segments of the trip. I talked to a man at Roanoke who rode the train, and he said people clocked the train (various methods) at a maxiumum speed of 42 mph. He said the train felt ~45 mph-ish at the peak.

I chatted with some railfans at Roanoke, and they were blindsided by 611's earlier than posted schedule arrival (12:30 pm). Some figured it might run earlier and headed out just before noon, but they still got blindsided. Oh well.

Date: 04/24/16 11:55

Maybe Amtrak should go back to steam locomotives since they can keep a schedule.

Would be interesting and won't ever happen.
Pat

Date: 04/24/16 13:53
Author: Jimbo

sptno Wrote:
> How many passengers can the train carry?
> I figure close to between 700 and 800 based on 40
> passengers per coach.
> It's really nice to see a mainline stream train
> with diesel locomotives.
> Thanks again to all involved.
> Pat
> South Austin, TX

About 800 passengers, plus crew and volunteer staff.

Date: 04/24/16 15:12
Author: Rich_Melvin

22 cars for this locomotive is a piece of cake. She won't even be breathing hard. 

We used to pull 34 cars unassisted with the 765 on the New River Trains years ago.

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds