Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > I Wonder If He Knows How Much Railroad History He Is Climbing On!

Date: 04/23/16 03:45
I Wonder If He Knows How Much Railroad History He Is Climbing On!
Author: LoggerHogger

Over the years, it was quite common for one to come across an old steam locomotive parked out on some remote track at the edge of a railyard and to climb on her so you could have your photo taken.  But how many such people really knew anything about the history of the engine they were posing with?

This young man has found an old Schenectady built 2-6-0 at the edge of the yards in Prineville, Oregon as his mount for this photo taken in 1940.  So what is her history?

This fine Mogul was built in 1889 for the Oregon Ry & Navigation Co. as their #92.  She then became Union Pacific #1211 for a few years before coming back to the OR&N as their #107.  She then had a name change to Oregon, Washington Ry & Navigation but remained as #107.  A couple of years later she returned to UP as their #4204.

In May 1915 she was leased to Hercules Sandstone for a few months and then returned to UP in July 1915.

In February 1916 she was purchased by the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Co. for service on that company's new logging railroad in Bend, Oregon.  She served them well for the next decade.

Finally in 1925 she was sold to the near-by City Of Prineville Ry for service on that 20-mile line between Prineville, Oregon and the connection with the Oregon Trunk at O'Neil, Oregon.

If this young man only knew what he was standing on.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/16 03:58 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/23/16 08:07
Re: I Wonder If He Knows How Much Railroad History He Is Climbing
Author: HeislerPower

Looks like she's a little less than a Mogul at this stage, likely a 2-4-0, or maybe a 2-5-0 if the axle broke.

Good picture though.

Taylor

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds