Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3985 on frt run to North Platte. Need a date! HELP?

Date: 04/28/16 15:00
3985 on frt run to North Platte. Need a date! HELP?
Author: slacks

3985 was on a frt run a few years ago to North Platte for an employees day. Although not employees railfans were welcomed even down by the shop area. The last shot is the rear of the train by O Fallons Neb with business cars on rear. I forgot to put down the date so if anyone renembers the year Please let me know. Thanks 

Date: 04/28/16 15:03
Re: 3985 on frt run to North Platte. Need a date! HELP?
Author: slacks

One final shot, nice to see steam and diesel smoke together, just like old times.  

Date: 04/28/16 17:03
Author: imrl

It's only a guess, but it is an educated one. The 1243 was cosmetically restored and transported to Omaha for display in 1990. I don't know if it was a direct trip or if the engine toured a bit before display. 

Date: 04/28/16 18:29
Author: Copy19

It was September, 1990.  My wife Pat and I hosted the trip with Kevin Keefe from Trains Magazine, Jim Boyd and Mike DelVecchio from Railfan & Railroad Magzine and Harvey Turner from Union Pacific Corporate Relations in New York.  We rode the business cars from Council Bluffs, IA out to Cheyenne, Wyo. where we met up with the steam crew and the 3985 to deadhead with our business cars on  a short freight consist back to North Platte where we would join up with the annual River City Roundup passenger special into Omaha.  Mr. Turner left us at Cheyenne.

Pat and I enjoyed some cab time in 3995 between Cheyenne and North Platte.  I recall we stopped at Sidney, Neb. to pick up some freight cars, an incident Boyd wrote about in his magazine.   Fireman Lynn Nystrom showed us how to "smoke the interestate" near the cut-off to Julesburg, CO.

Needless to say there were some very interesting conversations in the business car at mealtimes, but I recall Boyd did most of the talking.

In North Platte we tied up next the diesel shop.  (The GP-30 844 was spotted on the next track over.).  Meanwhile our business car filled with smoke with a kitchen fire.  It was taken care of quickly and our dinner proceeded without further incident.  How could we forget that?

Cheers, John & Pat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/16 18:30 by Copy19.

Date: 04/28/16 20:05
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for posting this John. Ya beat me too it. And I was in charge of the train a few years later with the 951 when we delivered the 1243 to the Durham Museum in Omaha.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/16 05:46 by Bob3985.

Date: 04/29/16 06:38
Author: Frisco1522

The practice of smoking the interstate was known as "Nuking the foamers".

Date: 05/01/16 13:06
Author: UP951West

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The practice of smoking the interstate was known
> as "Nuking the foamers".

Yes, Lynn took great delight in doing this.

Date: 05/02/16 07:26

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The practice of smoking the interstate was known
> as "Nuking the foamers".
Don,
​I remember one trip eastbound heading down thru KC and we had departed Marysville in route to KC. I was driving the suburban and had Steve Watrous, who shot all the footage for our videos, tailing me. I stopped on the bridge over the mainline south of Onaga and I had Steve set up on the bridge over the track. As they rounded the curve heading straight at us I told Steve that this would be an awesome shot. He concentrated thru his view finder as I backed up, grabbed my portable radio and told Steve and Lynn where he was. Well needless to say, the foamer got Nuked. And  I told Lynn, "Direct hit", as Steve turned to see me on the radio and shake his fist at me. But you know, that shot made the perfect scene to freeze and roll the credits thru.
​Again "And that's the rest of the story" Walter Cronkite Good night.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/16 15:04 by Bob3985.

Date: 05/03/16 07:26

As I posted on another thread, it was 35 years ago that we doubleheaded 3985 with 844 on the train to open the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/04/16 11:21
Author: Realist

You need a date?

For the Prom?

Chuckle

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.068 seconds