Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Steam & Excursion > Western Roadroad 33&1/3 RPM recording

Date: 05/20/16 12:02
Western Roadroad 33&1/3 RPM recording
Author: ValvePilot

I have a record produced by the Railway&locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter called "Whistles West"
On the cover is # 51 with a double header, 4464 on the point with a back-up malley 2nd out!
On side two is a recording of Coast Mail # 91 behind 4486 departing Moorpark. At the throttle is Engineer Simpson. He was
a real good whistle artist and the recording reflects his tooting away from the depot.
I think the cover photo might have been taken in Saugus Cyn?

Date: 05/20/16 15:52
Re: Western Roadroad 33&1/3 RPM recording
Author: EMDX90

Being from the area around Moorpark, I would love to hear the recording. Haven't heard any steam era ones from around here.

Date: 05/20/16 16:16
Author: mundo

I have one for sale.  Contact me on Private Messages.

Date: 05/20/16 21:15
Author: Westbound

Lots of great SP whistles on that album. The one that is outstanding is the 3 cylinder SP 4-10-2. The ATSF 2-10-4 is another.

If you listen closely to one of the sequences when the train (Coast Daylight) is boarding, you hear a mother in the background  telling her son who is getting on the train "Johnny, be a good boy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/16 21:19 by Westbound.

Date: 05/20/16 22:33
Author: MaryMcPherson

There was a second album also released called "Steam Echoes."  Were these the only two releases?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/21/16 16:46
Author: johnsweetser

ValvePilot wrote:

> I have a record ... called "Whistles West"   On the cover is # 51 with a double header, 4464 on the point with a back-up malley 2nd out!

I don't have any of my references with me, but I'll sort of go out on a limb say it could be the January 1956 "Bankers' Holiday" excursion from Los Angeles to Bakersfield.  It was common for the L.A.-to-Bakersfield excursions to run as the first section of No. 51.  Also, that power combination was used on a number of mid-fifties excursions to Bakersfield.

> I think the cover photo might have been taken in Saugus Cyn?

No such thing as "Saugus Cyn" as far as I know.   Probably shot in Soledad Canyon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/16 16:49 by johnsweetser.

Date: 05/23/16 14:01
Author: johnsweetser

I previously wrote:

> I'll sort of go out on a limb say it could be the January 1956 "Bankers' Holiday" excursion from Los Angeles to Bakersfield. 

Turns out it wasn't that excursion.

Date: 05/23/16 16:10
Author: Westbound

The album cover shows that photo was taken by a Frank Hughes. Sure looks like the San Joaquin Daylight herself and not an excursion. Can see the first eleven or twelve cars and all are in Daylight colors in this B & W print. First car is an RPO followed by a full baggage, coaches, triple unit diner and then bushes obscure the rest. Whatever, it is a classic shot with the SP 4464 on the point.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds