Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > 765 Headed Home on Home Rails

Date: 06/20/16 20:33
765 Headed Home on Home Rails
Author: WrongMain

Nickel Plate 765 had an abbreviated stay in ChicagoLand, not getting to stretch its legs on a high speed trip to Galesburg and return.  Maybe next time.  Instead, the big Berk headed back to Fort Wayne on Monday afternoon, traveling on the rails of its original owner, the Nickel Plate.  We caught the 765  in Valparaiso, right after a rain storm.  The  2-8-4 is seen here on a nice curve alongside Nickel Plate Avenue.  How fitting!  Too bad the rods aren't down in the first photo, but believe me, they are down on the other side :).

Date: 06/21/16 08:48
Re: 765 Headed Home on Home Rails
Author: YG

NICE photos!

Steve Mitchell 
yardgoatimages.com 

Date: 06/21/16 10:19
Author: nathansixchime

Great shots! We'd appreciate a few of you wouldn't mind.
(Before anyone asks, the diesel was there to take over the train from New Haven...)

KL
FWRHS

Date: 06/21/16 11:14

nathansixchime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots! We'd appreciate a few of you wouldn't
> mind.
> (Before anyone asks, the diesel was there to take
> over the train from New Haven...)
>
> KL
> FWRHS

I'd be happy to help you out.  Just send me a PM and we can discuss how to get them to you and what you'd like.

Date: 06/22/16 04:17
Author: SPDRGWfan

It seems all to common that a diesel is stuck in behind the steam engine - marrs the effect for me.  I got to ride behind that steam engine when I was a grad student at Indiana University and it came to Bloomington IN.  Very cool!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 06/22/16 04:47
Author: Contax645

You really did well here Bill!

Gary R Clark
Griffith, Indiana

Date: 06/22/16 06:16
Author: nathansixchime

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> It seems all to common that a diesel is stuck in
> behind the steam engine - marrs the effect for
> me. 

This is actually the first unit tucked in behind the 765 since since perhaps even 2014...

Date: 06/22/16 06:23
Author: Rich_Melvin

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> It seems all to common that a diesel is stuck in behind the steam engine - marrs the effect for me...

A diesel is "...all too common..."?
We just completed a weekend running on Metra at 70 mph with no diesel! What more do you want?

The diesel was there to stretch the coal. Because of the change in schedule in cancelling the Galesburg trips and moving up this deadhead move date, the operator for the coal loader was not able to get to Chicago to load coal for this deadhead move home.  We had to get the 765 home with what was left in the tender after the Metra trip. There was not enough coal left for the 765 to handle the train all by herself. She would have run out of coal before getting to Fort Wayne. So NS graciously allowed us to tuck the diesel in behind the engine so we could let it do most of the work and just drift the 765, thus stretching the coal mileage substantially. I'm sorry if this "...marrs (sp) the effect..." for you, but the alternative was not acceptable.

Kelly, you are too kind...  ;-)

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 06:25 by Rich_Melvin.

Date: 06/22/16 07:21

Maybe, I was concentrating too much on taking the picture or trying to stay dry, but I hardly noticed the diesel, and I didn't hear it, either.  I guess the fact that the unit was black helped.  If it had been, say orange, yellow, or red, it might have stuck out like a sore thumb.  But that wouldn't have changed the experience for me.

Date: 06/22/16 08:18
Author: bigjim4life

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It seems all to common that a diesel is stuck in
> behind the steam engine - marrs the effect for
> me...
>
> A diesel is "...all too common..."?
> We just completed a weekend running on Metra at 70
> mph with no diesel! What more do you want?

I'm sorry if this
> "...marrs (sp) the effect..." for you, but the
> alternative was not acceptable.
>

Rich, I think (and hopefully I'm not putting words in the OP's mouth) that they were referring to most mainline steam excursions in general, not yours or this one in particular.  Most of 630/4501's trips, the first set of trips with 611 this year, the first few 765 trips in the 21st Century Steam Program (as well as a few of the ferry moves last year that had to go over Canadian Pacific trackage), quite a few of the 261 trips, most/all of the 3751 trips, the list goes on and on - usually end up having a diesel tucked in behind the steamer for any various number of reasons.  I think that NOT having the diesel back there is a refreshing change of pace anytime it's being used.  That being said, having a diesel should never be a "deal breaker" for anyone photographing/riding behind mainline steam.  If it is a "deal breaker", get out of the photo line and open up a spot for those of us who do care.

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 06/22/16 08:57
Author: CPRR

Diesel, smiesel.....

Thank you Rich and your team for showing the rest of the USA how a single two piston machine can tow a large passenger train by itself with out the aid of a diesel tucked in behind it.

May the 765 never retire and have a long life running at speed that you and your team showed on this trip....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/16 21:03
Author: justalurker66

Complaining about a diesel on a deadhead move? First world problems.

Thanks FWRHS for all you do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:28 by justalurker66.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds