Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Steam & Excursion > 844 around Greeley today

Date: 07/23/16 20:12
844 around Greeley today
Author: drgw0579

After being gone all day, the first thing I see in my email when I got home was "was 844 pulling or was it being pushed?".  I hope these photos help show that the engine was definitely running very well.

I've learned that the CFD trip brings out the rudest drivers as they try to keep up with the train on highway 85.  So I just plan to wait for it around Greeley and knowing they will stop at the depot goves me a chance to move on the other side of town and wait.

We're spoiled with the UP GPS site and ATCS, and I was very surprised to see how fast their got to Gilcrest (first photo).  While the train slows for LaSalle, there's the two chase-killing stop lights in Evans.  So the next planned spot was along side of JBS (Monfort) where there's little grade climbing away from the Poudre River.  I have seen a lot of mainline steam, but I have *never* seen a train accelerate up a hill like that. (photo 2)  It was probably going 45 mph by me.  It had been stopped at the depot which is a bit more than a mile.  Yes, the diesel was in run-8, but 844, if it had it, was in run-16!  

After volunteering at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum all day, the weather was iffy, but I went up to Eaton so I could catch it accelerating outy of town.  I think they turned up the oil for me. as it had been running clean before this (photo 3)

Bill Kepner

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/16 20:23 by drgw0579.

Date: 07/23/16 20:14
Re: 844 around Greeley today
Author: drgw0579

And finally, crossing the South Platte.  Never done this spot before and I don't think I'll do it again unless the water is high.

Bill Kepner

Date: 07/23/16 20:20
Author: kennbritt

Very nice set of photos.  Thank you.

Ken Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 07/23/16 20:26
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oh, those are really, really NICE photos!  And I really
like the broadside of the train on the bridge over the
Plattte River.  VERY well done!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 21:23 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 07/23/16 23:52
Author: LJohnson

I'm happy for the UP steam team

Posted from Android

Date: 07/24/16 04:24
Author: CalZephyr

Excellent photos! Thanks!  That bridge looks like it would be a good spot for a blowdown.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds