Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > The latest from Lima Locomotive Works...Tunnel soot removal unit

Date: 07/25/16 18:59
The latest from Lima Locomotive Works...Tunnel soot removal unit
Author: KMiddlebrook

While looking for my AFT images, I came across these of the 1977 Transcontinental Steam Excursion arriving in San Jose.

To return the 4449 to Portland after its AFT duties, Amtrak marketed an excursion.    Various legs of the trip were offerred.  A friend and I skipped high school to ride the San Jose to Oakland portion of the trip.

The hightlight of the exursion was the '49's return to its Daylight route along the coast northward from Los Angeles. After over-nighting in San Luis Obispo, the train climbed Cuesta Grade.   In the process, the locomotive literally steam cleaned the tunnels resulting in nearly two decades of diesel soot falling onto the train.  The result can be seen here. 

Ahead lay a long night for someone to clean the train in Oakland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/16 19:00 by KMiddlebrook.

Date: 07/25/16 19:25
Re: The latest from Lima Locomotive Works...Tunnel soot removal u
Author: highgreengraphics

Hey, there's UP water tender 907853 being used, too, I think the only ex-GETL fuel tender painted black. === === = === JLH

Date: 07/25/16 20:48
Author: MojaveBill

Didn't notice this when it came through Mojave... We must have cleaner tunnels!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/25/16 20:55
Author: dmaffei

Was on board that day. On great trip. The Amtrak helper failed on Cuesta grade if I remember correctly. A photo run by on horseshoe curve of biblical proportions in the cool morning air. What a day. Thanks for posting. ..

Date: 07/25/16 21:49
Author: px320

Memorable trip from Yuma to LA with a group of good friends.

Date: 07/26/16 04:27
Author: HotWater

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't notice this when it came through Mojave...
> We must have cleaner tunnels!

No,,,,,,the diesel helper was loading. On the grade and photos in question above, the damned Amtrak unit would not load after the photo run-by, on Questa!

Date: 07/26/16 06:42
Author: Frisco1522

You should see what the folks in the cab look like after "cleaning a tunnel".  I was on the 3985 which was doubleheading with 844 and we cleaned Hermosa Tunnel heading back to Cheyenne.   We looked l ike a Minstrel act, even with the cab closed up tight.  Took about three showers to get that crap off.

Date: 07/26/16 15:31
Author: sp3204

Frisco 1522 is right about washing that "stuff" off of you! To make a short story long; we lost the wind wing window the day before in one of the tunnels between LA and Santa Barbara. I fired out of San Luis Obispo that fateful morning on the '49. She was foaming with some questionable San Luis water, Hotwater already gave out the situation on the Amtrak unit. The cab was full of people including my father who took Lauries spot for a ride in the cab (aka the boss, Mrs. McCormack). When we hit those tunnels she was working hard, and with over 20 years of "diesel mung" on the roofs of those tunnels we basically performed a steam cleaning service for the Southern Pacific. I only had one side window, so I could not close up my side of the cab. Steam, diesel mung and God knows what else came into my side of the cab, and the heat was, well lets say very uncomfortable, I knew then why the cab forward was so successful with crews. With my father standing right next to me we were inundated by it all. Most people on this sight probably remember the entertainer Al Jolson; you get the picture. It ruined my dads leather jacket, he couldn't have cared less. It was and is one of my best moments of 40 years of railroading in engine service on the Southern Pacific and later the Union Pacific. I was indeed a proud son that day, Jolson face and all on both of us.
Craig

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds