Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Steam & Excursion > Arcade & Attica 18

Date: 08/12/16 20:26
Arcade & Attica 18
Author: CCMF

The last time I visited the ARA was when I was a child.  I am not sure of the exact date but it was prior to 1968 so I was about 5 years old.  Now I am 53 and made it back riding an open gondola, probably the same one from all those years ago.  The track is pretty rough, but ARA 18 is pretty sweet.  ARA 14 has been out-of-service for many years and is stored inside the old shop.  We learned that 18 has 14's tender now and has had it for years due to larger capacity.  Once upon a time they ran 3 return trips on some days but now usually one, sometimes two, so running short on water is never an issue.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 08/12/16 20:53
Re: Arcade & Attica 18
Author: nhiwwrr

Interesting that their track is rough considering the major investment they plowed into it a few years back...

Then again, 100ton covered hoppers will beat up rail quickly if they don't keep an eye on the leveling and tamping of the joints.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/13/16 01:47
Author: Thumper

I see the Halloween Central is still alive and well!

Bryce Lee
Burlington, Ontario

Date: 08/13/16 05:53
Author: gbmott

Interesting mis-matched tender trucks which seem to result in the rear riding higher than the front.  Is this intentional?  Nice locomotive, can't say much for the orange trim.

Gordon

Date: 08/13/16 07:25
Author: tsokolan

I really dig the hand painted lettering on the tender!

-Trevor

Date: 08/13/16 10:27
Author: nhiwwrr

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting mis-matched tender trucks which seem
> to result in the rear riding higher than the
> front.  Is this intentional?  Nice locomotive,
> can't say much for the orange trim.
>
> Gordon

To get every last drop of water.

Orange has been their staple since day one. I'm glad they returned the coaches to their orange and black paint. Locos too. The green, while more historic, looked to be horribly done and really didn't fit the operation.

It's been the A&A trademark colors since they started.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/13/16 13:40
Author: CCMF

We asked about the tender trucks and the front is a replacement from a box car.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/16 13:41 by CCMF.

Date: 08/14/16 00:48
Author: DNRY122

Old time hot rodders might say that the tender is "raked" (one end higher than the other).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds