Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Steam & Excursion > Railroad Days at Monticello Railway Museum this weekend

Date: 09/17/16 04:48
Railroad Days at Monticello Railway Museum this weekend
Author: MaryMcPherson

Just a note that this weekend is the annual Railroad Days at Monticello.

Southern 2-8-0 #401, Wabash F7A #1188, Milwaukee Road NW2 #1649 and Illinois Central GP11 #8733 will be working this weekend.

The museum is right off I-72 between Champaign and Decatur, Illinois.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/17/16 06:17
Re: Railroad Days at Monticello Railway Museum this weekend
Author: Spoony81

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a note that this weekend is the annual
> Railroad Days at Monticello.
>
> Southern 2-8-0 #401, Wabash F7A #1188, Milwaukee
> Road NW2 #1649 and Illinois Central GP11 #8733
> will be working this weekend.
>
> The museum is right off I-72 between Champaign and
> Decatur, Illinois.

My 5 yr old son and I are just about ready to head that way. I'm glad the rain has gone away

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/16 21:40

Somebody must have bribed the weatherman today!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 09/19/16 12:02

This was our third trip to the museum but our first RR Days. Saturday was a lot of fun so it looks like this will be an annual thing for my 5 yr old son and I. We showed up at 9:30 and stayed until around 4:30 riding everything but the passenger train which we just missed riding a couple of times but that was ok. I had never rode in the cupola of a caboose so we both checked that off our list on the first train of the day the mixed freight. On the way back we rode down below and I must say we liked the open side doors of the 1950 #9923 IC caboose much better. For lunch we were going to take the pass. train back to town but I lost track of time so it was another enjoyable trip out the side door of #9923. I asked my son if he wanted to ride in the cupola since it was open but I was happy he said he wanted the side door seat again. We walked around downtown Monticello after lunch and enjoyed the festival on the square before catching the 1:15 steam mixed back to the museum. Riding in the flatcar behind the #401 never disappoints especially on a beautiful day like Saturday. The afternoon was Stair Tour equipment barn tours, bounce houses, pedal trains and other stuff he wanted to do before we chalked another first off the list and jumped on a speeder and went to White Heath. The folks at the Monticello Railway Museum always do a great job and I highly recommend people check them out.  I also saw Mary a few times but she looked busy shooting video so I didn't want to interupt her.

Pic.1  A happy Cameron getting ready to enjoy our first ride in a cupola
  Pic 2. Looking out the side door as we are pushed back to the museum from downtown Monticello
  Pic 3. Standing outside the speeder at White Heath

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/16 13:37 by Spoony81.

Date: 09/19/16 13:22

Yup, I was around most of the weekend.  Not a frame of video, though (didn't bring a video camera this year), and hardly any photography.  This year was about sound; that big furry blimp was the microphone.  I've done a lot of sound with #401, so I was focused more on the diesels this year.  Would have liked the FPA4 to have been running, but I'm not going to get too greedy!

We did set up an audio sequence in the tower using the approach bell, telegraph key and interlocking machine levers as props with three trains around the tower.  Turned out rather well, if I do say so myself.  Sure there is still radio traffic in there, but seeing as they did have to actually run the trains I'm NOT going to be the one to complain!

Glad you had a great time!  I've been going every year since 2010 and don't see that changing any time soon.  In fact, I might be joining the steam crew and coming out from behind the lens.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 09/19/16 13:42

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup, I was around most of the weekend.  Not a
> frame of video, though (didn't bring a video
> camera this year), and hardly any photography.
>  This year was about sound; that big furry blimp
> was the microphone.  I've done a lot of sound
> with #401, so I was focused more on the diesels
> this year.  Would have liked the FPA4 to have
> been running, but I'm not going to get too
> greedy!
>
> We did set up an audio sequence in the tower using
> the approach bell, telegraph key and interlocking
> machine levers as props with three trains around
> the tower.  Turned out rather well, if I do say
> so myself.  Sure there is still radio traffic in
> there, but seeing as they did have to actually run
> the trains I'm NOT going to be the one to
> complain!
>
> Glad you had a great time!  I've been going every
> year since 2010 and don't see that changing any
> time soon.  In fact, I might be joining the steam
> crew and coming out from behind the lens.

Yeah I saw your Mic on the back of 8733 and then I think I saw you set up at the road crossing before you drop down the hill to cross camp creek on the way back to the museum,  I just assumed you were shooting video. On the way to White Heath in the speeder I saw an old plantation style house on the north side of the tracks buried behind some trees, I would love to know the story of that house if anyone knows.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds