Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Recording On Voyager Mission's "Golden Record"

Date: 09/21/16 17:15
Steam Recording On Voyager Mission's "Golden Record"
Author: DRGW5502

I had never heard the sound recording of the "Train" recording pressed on the record that was sent into space on the Voyager missions.

Anyone have a guess on which steam locomotive is featured on the record?

SoundCloud sample of the train at the bottom of this article:
http://pitchfork.com/news/68449-kickstarter-campaign-seeks-to-release-nasa-voyager-golden-record-for-the-first-time/

Date: 09/21/16 22:25
Re: Steam Recording On Voyager Mission's "Golden Record"
Author: norm1153

Well, the web page showed up, and after what seemed like an eternity it finished loading enough so that I could fight it scrolling down to the bottom of the page.  Then I clicked what I guess is supposed to be the steam engine portion of the recording, and some kind of rhythmic pounding sound started, and just continued, and continued ad naseum.  It sure wasn't any steam engine that I've ever heard.  Jungle drum, maybe?  I didn't hear anything else before I gave up and closed that browser window. 

Date: 09/22/16 19:27
Re: Steam Recording On Voyager Mission's "Golden Record"
Author: flyingfred

I clicked on the line that plays Tractor, Bus, Auto. After that played another track began with a steam engine whistle and the train passing by with the bell ringing and whistle blowing for a crossing. The time as about 21 seconds.

-Fred-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds