Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Steam & Excursion > What If The Famous Railroad Rule Were Followed Only As Written?

Date: 09/26/16 03:28
What If The Famous Railroad Rule Were Followed Only As Written?
Author: LoggerHogger

Unfortunately I just found out from some YV experts that my rule book is a fake.  It has many flaws that are now obvious.  Sorry for this.

Most all of us who follow the industry of railroading are familiar with the famous rule against drinking on the job known for decades as simply "Rule G".  However, when we see how it was interpreted by some railroads back in the day of steam it is somewhat shocking.

Case in point is the 1939 employee rule book for the Yosemite Valley RR or Merced, California.  As we see from that rule book the company only "frowned upon" and employees on the job intoxication when it reached extreme and uncontrollable levels.

If this rule was really only enforced at the level described in the rule book, one begins to wonder how any of the YV trains made it to El Portal!

Martin

P.S.  Guy L. Dunscomb took the fine photo of YV 4-4-0 #23 rolling along the Merced River on January 12, 1941.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/16 10:24 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/26/16 05:13
Re: What If The Famous Railroad Rule Were Followed Only As Writte
Author: refarkas

While your rule comments were interesting, your photo of the Yosemite Valley train is one of the most beautiful black and white images I have seen. I am at a loss for words as to how best to describe it.
Thank you for posting it.

Date: 09/26/16 08:51
Author: BAB

I listened to some  RR employees talking about carring spookers while on duty normaly known as a flask. Was at a motel for a few days up in Spokane WA years back, it was full of railroad crews and dont think many were sober or got much sleep as seemed the party was 24/7 refreshed with new crews coming and older ones going.

Date: 09/26/16 09:21
Author: CNWJim

Love this post. In 1968 we were shoving a waycar and a boxcar, both with air, up a clear alley towrds the hump at Proviso. I had called top of the hump and double checked that the track was locked up. As we shoved further up the track it became obvious this was neither a clear alley, nor locked up, as cars moved towards me faster and faster. Turns out the conductor at top of the hump was drunk -- he was a famous and serial Rule G violator -- and had dropped forty-two loads in on us. I gave the engineer a washout, hopped off and started running. I was three tracks away when those loads hit. Knocked the engine, waycr and boxcar (with air in emergency) out of the track, up the lead, and right past the Middle yard office. It was a miracle everything stayed on the track. At the investigation, the engineer had his arm in a sling from the cab window slamming shut on it, the head man wound up on the floor of the waycar, and our conductor barely hung on to the platform of the waycar. The hump conductor was back at work the next day. Like they say, every rule in the book is written in somebody's blood.

Date: 09/26/16 09:55
Author: asheldrake

the changing cultural values over the years is interesting I think.....watching re-runs of Johnny Carson finds him smoking at the desk while interviewing.   this rule is one of the many examples of how we have changed.   Arlen

Date: 09/26/16 10:45
Author: LarryDoyle

I have Rule G just as you have it above, in my model railroad's rulebook

Date: 09/26/16 11:05
Author: P

So the obvious question is how much frowning was actually done back in the day? 

Date: 09/26/16 12:13
Author: zephyrus

While operating while intoxiated is obviously a serious matter, I have been lucky to hear some HILARIOUS stories involving boozed up crews and their misadventures.

One of my favorites involves a WP train with two baby mallets heading north toward Beiber where the lead engine, mid helper and caboose were all well stocked with a case of beer each.  Turns out they were so concerned with getting theiir libations that they neglected to check their orders and went past the siding where they were supposed to do a meet.  The conductor, thinking fast, instead hid the train down the Red River Lumber line and the southbound drag passed by without ever having seen the northbound.

Reportedly, this made for some interesting reports when the trains reached their respective terminals.

Z

Date: 09/26/16 14:33
Author: lynnpowell

When did the YVRR lose their US Mail contract?

Date: 09/27/16 08:13
Author: yvrr

The YV lost the mail contract in October 1943.

Date: 09/27/16 19:16
Author: RuleG

Great thread and photo!

Date: 09/27/16 20:57
Author: ctjacks

If the PRR (and some other railroads) enforced Rule G strictly back in the day, they would have lost a good chunk of their employees instantly. 

Date: 09/28/16 16:03
Author: Chico43

One of my mentors who had a 1936 date in engine service on the ATSF L.A. Division told me that during WW II they were so short handed that the carrier was fearful that people would get mad and quit if Rule G would have been enforced to any extent.
Over the years, I worked with some guys who were better carhands with a buzz than they were straight.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds