Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Steam Crew's Traditional Last Minute Huddle Before Departure!

Date: 10/17/16 03:29
A Steam Crew's Traditional Last Minute Huddle Before Departure!
Author: LoggerHogger

Certain rituals were a necessary part of any train crew's daily routine in the operation of steam powered trains.  One of these was the last minute meeting of the engine crew and the conductor before departure.  That is what we are witnessing here.

The date is July 1950 and the location is the Western Pacific depot in Winnemucca, Nevada.  A WP passenger train is about to depart once her last passengers are on board.  Before that can happen the engineer, fireman and conductor are having their final meeting to discuss their orders and the track ahead.

This was a vital ritual played out countless times during the age of steam railroading.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/16 03:35 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/17/16 06:57
Re: A Steam Crew's Traditional Last Minute Huddle Before Departur
Author: Grande473

​I was looking for the ``like'' button on this one.

Date: 10/17/16 07:06
Author: HotWater

Great photo! On the other hand, they COULD be discussing if and when the Chicago Cubs will EVER have a wining season and make it to the World Series.

Date: 10/17/16 07:19
Author: Chico43

"You SOB, you've pulled the air on me for the last time!!"

Date: 10/17/16 07:21
Author: BAB

Would be great if some on here could relate there stories like hotwater or Bob K. Bet there were some colorful exchanges at times...

Date: 10/17/16 07:30
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Todays sorry excuses for management anywhere have no social skills ( other than drinking ) and have no idea of the importance of such meetings as this among crew members. Today they speak to no one and work diligently to have the employees do the same. Every employee is an adversary of others. And they wonder why bad things happen.

Date: 10/17/16 07:48
Author: Frisco1522

You should see the rack on the gal in the chair car..........

Date: 10/17/16 08:42
Author: TAW

Long before anybody heard of job briefings. Something is new when it has a new name.

TAW

Date: 10/17/16 08:55
Author: miralomarail

The Engineer pointing his finger, " Don't tell me how to run my Locomotive or I'll __________ you up "  !

Date: 10/17/16 14:30
Author: mp109

Now they do that by radio.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/17/16 18:21
Author: PHall

Now days it's called a "Job Briefing".

Date: 10/17/16 19:41
Author: agentatascadero

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should see the rack on the gal in the chair
> car..........                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I think it better to check out the babes back in the Pullmans........more privacy, you know.    Oh no!!  Now I/we're sending this thread down into the rhymes like  "rump" toilet.  Just locker talk, you know, I'd NEVER do anything like that.  Sigh, nothing is sacred anymore......or, like the man says........."it's all crap now."   Just a small aside, the photo is a classic, thanks for the post.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/17/16 22:00
Author: Evan_Werkema

Has Peter Lerro given up on night photo sessions?  ;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds