Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Farewell Train Crossed This Classic Vista For The Last Time!

Date: 10/19/16 03:40
This Farewell Train Crossed This Classic Vista For The Last Time!
Author: LoggerHogger

The Sierra Railroad of Jamestown, California was popular with railfans and movie companies alike due to the variety scenery that it crossed between Oakdale and Tuolumne.  When we think of the Sierra various images come to mind like this one taken out in the green farm land in the valley territory just east of Oakdale.

The date is April 17, 1955 and we are watching the "Farewell To Steam" trip pulled by Sierra 2-6-6-2 #38 and 2-8-0 #28.  Victor DeBrutz was along on that cold and rainy spring day to record this most classic of Sierra Railroad scenes for us.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/16 03:45 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/19/16 07:43
Re: This Farewell Train Crossed This Classic Vista For The Last T
Author: SierraRail

Sierra Railroad engineer Bill Coffer always referred to this area as "Buffalo Country".

Date: 10/19/16 20:37
Author: UPTRAIN

Pretty cool shot, and I'm a little partial to the date as well.  I was born on the 35th anniversary of this trip.

Pump

Date: 10/20/16 10:02
Author: DKay

Rode the Sierra just this past Sat.# 3 is still looking good.The country in your pic reminds me of the area around the Redlin Ranch.
Regards,DK

Date: 10/20/16 11:53
Author: lynnpowell

The grazing land between the camera and the train has seen little change, but the hills behind the train are now covered with almond orchards! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds