Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Steam & Excursion > Do you have any ideas when?

Date: 10/27/16 00:28
Do you have any ideas when?
Author: Ardenwood

These surfaced recently and the tender reads Blue Mountain and Reading any ideas when they were taken?  Your guesses are much better than mine.

Date: 10/27/16 13:32
Re: Do you have any ideas when?
Author: nhiwwrr

johnacraft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If these are the same trip, it's probably one of
> the "shopping specials" to Philadelphia in 1987 or
> 1988.

But weren't those trips usually held closer to December?

I'm thinking this may be a dead head move to/from the old Bethlehem Branch for the Lansdale specials over SEPTA.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/27/16 13:47
Author: ctjacks

Isn't that last picture in Harrisburg, in front of State Street?

Date: 10/27/16 14:31

Thank you John, nhiwwrr, and ctjacks for your help.  I found a picture which was probably taken on the same day going over a stone bridge, and the date of that is October 24, 1991.

Now I have another problem.  This is SP2472.  I have never seen her with so much black smoke and I have no idea when this was taken.  I think she is going to or coming back from Gilroy Garlic festibal and the place is somewhere between San Francisco and Gilroy, but I am not sure.  I apologize for my miserable recording syste.

Date: 10/27/16 16:16

The lettering on the tender on the stone bridge shot is different from the first three so we are back to the fitrst square.  Now I vaguely remember Al Schindler who ordanised the stone bridge charter changed the lettering for the day.,

Date: 10/28/16 07:44
Author: ctjacks

The photo of the 2102 with the coal train is a different trip - circa 1990, when they did a few coal trains.  I think the top 3 photos are from an excursion to Harrisburg in the 1985-86 timeframe:  the first photo is near Hamburg, the second is near Rutherford Yard, and the 3rd in Harrisburg.

Chris.

Date: 10/28/16 10:29
Author: nhiwwrr

1985-86, the 02 was still wearing the Reading Ramble colors with READING on the tender when pulling off line excursions for the then new Blue Mountain and Reading.

The first 3 photos have to be 1990's.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/16 10:30 by nhiwwrr.

Date: 10/28/16 11:07
Author: johnacraft

In 1985 and 1986, 2102 was lettered "READING" with yellow handrails.

It lost the yellow handrails for 1987.

In 1988 the tender was relettered BM&R as in your photo. And since I don't recall Conrail allowing any steam excursions on its rails after 1988 (the New Jersey NRHS fiasco and the PRR 1361 problems), that probably narrows down the year to 1988. 

BM&R offered an overnight trip from Temple to Gettysburg on 21-22 May, 1988 that passed through Harrisburg.

Date: 10/28/16 14:58

Thank you for your infomations, ctjacks, nhiwwrr, and John.  I rellay appreciate your help. Haruo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds