Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Steam & Excursion > Dart at a Calendar

Date: 11/28/16 08:30
Dart at a Calendar
Author: Trolleysteve

The heading of this post accurately describes without further information how I must choose a week of my vacation time in 2017. In mid December I must submit to my employer my vacation picks of all of 2017. That may work fine for people choosing vacation time based on destinations, but is horrible for those choosing by events. I have been searching the web for announcements of rail orientated events in 2017, but there are precious few posted.

I do have a plan B that involves museums/tourist lines and their regularly scheduled runs. But I yearn to experience some big steam on the high iron. So as I throw that dart to get my "railfan" vacation week, any suggestions for where I should aim?

Thanks,

Steve  

Date: 11/28/16 08:41
Re: Dart at a Calendar
Author: HotWater

Just a thought, but you might checkout when the annual Galesburg Days event is held in Galesburg, Illinois. For the 2016 event, the Fort Wayne Railroad Society advertised round trips from Chicago to Galesburg with 765 for that weekend. Although the trips did not sell well, I believe that they might try to organize such trips again for 2017, with much longer advance advertising. Might be worth looking into that.

Date: 11/28/16 09:18
Author: jbwest

Not sure if you are into narrow gauge, but September 4-5-6 will see an interesting RGS recreation on the C&TS.  The prior weekend is the Narrow Gauge Convention in Denver and and D&S and other Colorado rail attractions are not far away.  

JBWX

Date: 11/28/16 10:01
Author: Spoony81

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a thought, but you might checkout when the
> annual Galesburg Days event is held in Galesburg,
> Illinois. For the 2016 event, the Fort Wayne
> Railroad Society advertised round trips from
> Chicago to Galesburg with 765 for that weekend.
> Although the trips did not sell well, I believe
> that they might try to organize such trips again
> for 2017, with much longer advance advertising.
> Might be worth looking into that.

Galesburg RR Days is always the last weekend of June, so it should be the 23-25

Date: 11/28/16 11:03
Author: KDroute

261 has been running mainline trips around the 1st or 2nd weekends in October, hopefully this will continue in 2017

Mike Patrick

Date: 11/28/16 15:48
Author: RuleG

Aim the dart for the first or second week in October.  That's when the many excursions seem to be operated.  As mentioned above, the 261 often runs in October. 

If all goes according to plan, the Reading & Northern, which offers an extensive program of excursions, will have its 2102, up and running.

Additionally, don't overlook the return of Duluth & Northeastern #28 on the North Shore Scenic Railroad.

The National Railway Historical Society will convene its annual convention in Nashville June 20 - 24, 2017.  Don't know if any steam excursions will be offered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/16 17:45 by RuleG.

Date: 11/28/16 17:18
Author: nycman

Check John McIvor's site.  He usually has better info than US sources.

Date: 11/29/16 14:46
Author: grizzledgary

I would agree with HotWater on the hoped for/expected FWRHS/NKP 765 trips coinciding with the Galesburg Railroad Days event. You mention "big steam on the high iron" and should those excursions come to pass I can't imagine there will be any better place on this continent to best experience exactly that in the coming year. We rode "The Varsity" from Glen of North Glenview (Chicago) to Janesville WI and return last June 12th with open vestibules and at 70+ miles per hour the relatively small 69" drivers on #765 helped contribute to an exhaust note I won't soon forget. There are some great videos on YouTube but like they say, you really had to be there. Galesburg is a weekend event so depending on where you live and how you plan to travel you may not need to schedule vacation time in order to participate. In any case, I do understand as my vacation days need to be submitted to my employer by the end of January each year.  

There was much discussion about this trip (The Varsity) and the cancellation of the Galesburg run after the fact, some feeling the ticket prices were too high, the routes were flat/lacking drama in the scenery and the trips were announced too late for many to work them into their schedule. In response I'll offer that it isn't 1970 anymore, last I checked what was a dollar then is now about $6.25 so at least factor that in when comparing what steam excursion tickets cost "back in the day." As to the route chosen, how many other railroads allow the open vestibules, high speeds and diesel free consist these trips offered? To my knowledge none, but hoping to be informed of something I'm missing. Regarding advance notice I know FWRHS is well aware of the importance of the lead time folks require in order to schedule time and resources so I trust they will do their best this time around. I hope ticket sales will support their effort, it should be a unique opportunity to experience big steam at it's best.               

Date: 11/29/16 14:55
Author: mdogg

grizzledgary Wrote:
> I would agree with HotWater on the hoped
> for/expected FWRHS/NKP 765 trips coinciding with
> the Galesburg Railroad Days event. You mention
> "big steam on the high iron" and should those
> excursions come to pass I can't imagine there will
> be any better place on this continent to best
> experience exactly that in the coming year. We
> rode "The Varsity" from Glen of North Glenview
> (Chicago) to Janesville WI and return last June
> 12th with open vestibules and at 70+ miles per
> hour the relatively small 69" drivers on #765
> helped contribute to an exhaust note I won't soon
> forget. There are some great videos on YouTube but
> like they say, you really had to be there.
> Galesburg is a weekend event so depending on where
> you live and how you plan to travel you may not
> need to schedule vacation time in order to
> participate. In any case, I do understand as my
> vacation days need to be submitted to my employer
> by the end of January each year.  
>
> There was much discussion about this trip (The
> Varsity) and the cancellation of the Galesburg run
> after the fact, some feeling the ticket prices
> were too high, the routes were flat/lacking drama
> in the scenery and the trips were announced too
> late for many to work them into their schedule. In
> response I'll offer that it isn't 1970 anymore,
> last I checked what was a dollar then is now about
> $6.25 so at least factor that in when comparing
> what steam excursion tickets cost "back in the
> day." As to the route chosen, how many other
> railroads allow the open vestibules, high speeds
> and diesel free consist these trips offered? To my
> knowledge none, but hoping to be informed of
> something I'm missing. Regarding advance notice I
> know FWRHS is well aware of the importance of the
> lead time folks require in order to schedule time
> and resources so I trust they will do their best
> this time around. I hope ticket sales will support
> their effort, it should be a unique opportunity to
> experience big steam at it's best.          
>     

Agree! 

I had a ticket for one of the Galesburg trips, and will have at least one for a trip in 2017 (fingers crossed).  There would be a diesel on the trips, but it is for HEP only.

Date: 11/29/16 16:54
Author: unseenthings

I wouldn't count on 765 going to Galesburg next year...

Date: 11/29/16 17:11
Author: Spoony81

unseenthings Wrote:
> I wouldn't count on 765 going to Galesburg next
> year...

Why?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/16 13:38
Author: P

I don't know how you feel about it, but I think that would be a sucky way to pick vacation weeks.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0861 seconds