Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Steam & Excursion > Photo op feasability

Date: 01/20/17 07:36
Photo op feasability
Author: Southern3205

Good morning all,

My family and I are close to finishing a six year restoration of our old truck and once it has been completed we'd like to volunteer it, and our other vehicles/equipment for photoshoots.  My question is (and this is for a somewhat selfish desire), what would be the feasability of a direct transload of cargo from a box or flatcar directly to the back of the truck?  Pardon my ignorance, did stuff like this still happen in the early fifties?, or was it mostly across a ramp or warehouse?  The bed top will be approximately three feet from ground level after all is said and done.  For some reason, I feel a black and white or (after a little photoshopping, I know there are guys/gals here on TO that can do such processing) a period look color picture would look awesome.  If anyone has any input, feel free to chime in as I'm open to ideas and anxious to get out an about to get more involved in an active preservation and reenactment role.  The truck pictured is the one we're currently working on.

Date: 01/20/17 08:46
Re: Photo op feasability
Author: czuleget

Happened all the time.

Date: 01/20/17 09:07
Author: nomosantafe

Southern3205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good morning all,
>
> My family and I are close to finishing a six year
> restoration of our old truck and once it has been
> completed we'd like to volunteer it, and our other
> vehicles/equipment for photoshoots.  My question
> is (and this is for a somewhat selfish desire),
> what would be the feasability of a direct
> transload of cargo from a box or flatcar directly
> to the back of the truck?  Pardon my ignorance,
> did stuff like this still happen in the early
> fifties?, or was it mostly across a ramp or
> warehouse?  The bed top will be approximately
> three feet from ground level after all is said and
> done.  For some reason, I feel a black and white
> or (after a little photoshopping, I know there are
> guys/gals here on TO that can do such processing)
> a period look color picture would look awesome.
>  If anyone has any input, feel free to chime in
> as I'm open to ideas and anxious to get out an
> about to get more involved in an active
> preservation and reenactment role.  The truck
> pictured is the one we're currently working on.

Nice truck!

Here's my "Foamer Truck" still under construction.

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland

Date: 01/20/17 09:51

Nice looking five window, dare I ask, Chevy or Dodge?, looks to have a Chevy mill in it judging by the rear mount distributor.

Date: 01/20/17 10:10
Author: chico

Note the truck in the far left of this John Dziobko photo, taken 9/11/1955 in East St. Louis. a PRR eastbound passenger train leaves town and off to the left you see a truck used for LCL delivery of products off the PRR. Excelsior Truck Leasing was a PRR associated company, painting their trucks Tuscan Red too. Later, there was a Scott Brothers company that painted their trucks a bit brighter red than tuscan, they also handled PRR LCL traffic.

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.godfatherrails.com/photos/pbu.asp?Update=1/15/2017

chico

Date: 01/20/17 10:14
Author: nomosantafe

Southern3205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking five window, dare I ask, Chevy or
> Dodge?, looks to have a Chevy mill in it judging
> by the rear mount distributor.

It's a 1952 Chevrolet.  It has a 1969 chevelle subframe w/power disc brakes and power steering, 1968 Chev PU 327 engine, Turbo 350 transmission. 69 Chevelle 12 bolt rear end.

If all goes well, it should be back on the road around March 1st.

Nomo

Date: 01/20/17 11:55

Mr. Chico,

Thanks for the info and picture.  That helps quite a bit and gives an insight into "how things were done".  I'm 34 and as such can only look back and live vicariously (I think I spelled that right) through stories and pictures.  Since buying the truck I've learned a great deal about "old iron" and want to learn more.  The car to the left of the truck is my daily driver (also a 53 Ford still sporting a flathead V8) and has been on multiple solo and family road trips.  Hopefully both soon will be with some railroad oriented classics.

To Nomosantafe,

Sounds like a heck of a build to undertake.  Ours is a 1953 F600 that has undergone a basic frame off with only minor cleaning and replacement/repainting of panels.  It still uses a flathead V8 with a 5 speed OD transmission and two speed differential axle.  It won't get anywhere in a hurry but with a two ton capacity will haul just about everything we could want.  We actually bought it for the purpose of hauling full scale rail equipment since it is a "bit large and heavy".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 12:04 by Southern3205.

Date: 01/20/17 15:30
Re: Photo op feasibility
Author: Labby

Believe this will help you out.  LCL delivery.

Date: 01/20/17 18:06
Author: Harlock

Yes you bet. We even staged a boxcar with truck scene at Heber in 2007.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 01/21/17 05:30

Here ya go. My longtime friend Kenny B. bought and restored this beauty. He is not on TO but I'm sure others here know him too. 

I asked him to send me pics of his truck to show you.

best wishes with your project!

Chico

Date: 01/21/17 10:30

Very nice sir!, very sharp truck there.  I'd be willing to bet it gets mistaken as museum property if parked near a station too long.

Date: 01/21/17 10:47

Here's a prototype shot, truck parked at the depot. Taken by John Dziobko of the LV facility T-1 countdown the day prior to CR takeove 4/1/76 in Sayre, PA.  Fly the flag? 

Date: 01/21/17 16:29
Author: Lairport

I have the pickup postcard from Ken, I liked the fact that its a Ford six.
The sixes were not as popular, but put out about as much power as the 8, without overheating problems on mountain grades,

Date: 01/21/17 23:50

Mr. Chico,

Whilst I don't have a flag to fly, the image I had in my head was pretty much a combination of the depot and LCL pictures posted above.  I'd definitely like to get involved with a steam preservation group to be able to be a part of such events.  Since my misses and I are wanting to move to Tennessee, we figure there would be several such groups within a reasonable driving distance, especially since our classics are being built to be daily drivable.  The green Customline next to the truck in my initial post is what I drive to work everyday when I'm home.

To Lairport,

The Ford inline six engines actually had more horsepower and torque than the flathead v8's.  The main reason for the flathead v8's being popular was their smoother running and higher RPM capabilities. As far as I know.

Date: 01/22/17 08:00
Attn Chico
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Chico - This is aside from the subject matter at hand, but here is a 1.5" scale tank car
and built and lettered for the Choptank, in honor of my grandparents that lived in Oxford MD 
on the Choptank River.  My grandfather was a waterman and model RR'er and lettered all
his HO steam engines CHOPTANK.  Thanks for the Choptank MD truck photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0861 seconds