Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > Any steam over La Veta Pass?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/02/17 16:02
Any steam over La Veta Pass?
Author: 2839Canadian

Does the Rio Grande Scenic ever run steam over La Veta Pass?  It's been a couple years since our last visit.

Thanks in advance

Date: 03/02/17 16:04
Re: Any steam over La Veta Pass?
Author: dan

no

Date: 03/02/17 16:14
Author: HotWater

Do they even have a functional steam locomotive?

Date: 03/02/17 16:16
Author: Bob3985

I rode their steam locomotive once some ears back. Can't recall but my mind is thinking #18. It was an old LS&I I believe.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/02/17 16:28
Author: 2839Canadian

Do they still run diesel excujrsions over La Veta Pass?

Date: 03/02/17 16:57
Author: Earlk

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they still run diesel excujrsions over La Veta
> Pass?

They did last year.  With the current IPH situation, all bets are off.  Best to check thier website.

There hasn't been steam over La Veta since 2013.  They done have any steam qualified crews (maybe one guy still around who was a fireman), nor do they have any steam qualified mechanical staff.  With the current manager, I doubt you will ever see steam again in Alamosa.

Date: 03/02/17 17:07
Author: poffcapt

What does IPH situation mean?

Date: 03/02/17 17:23
Author: cozephyr

Iowa Pacific Holdings (IPH) operated the San Luis & Rio Grande (SLRG) 18 back in 2010.  Here's one of the 15 runbys done that warm August 26, 2010.

Last I heard the 18, a 2-8-0 built in 1910, was stored in enginehouse at Alamosa, CO, no crew had operated her since 2013.

2-Steve Butler, left, was instrumental in getting #18 up and operational.  He was at Monte Vista, CO, August 16, 2012.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/17 17:26 by cozephyr.

Date: 03/02/17 17:54
Author: GPutz

This must have been one of the last runs, just after sunset, 10/5/13, about 5 miles east of Alamosa, Colorado.  Gerry

Date: 03/02/17 18:12
Author: sptno

Many years ago on our way to Chama to ride the NG, we rode 1744 to La Veta and back.  Had a great time.
1744 had issues gettiong over the hill so had to drop a passenger coach off at a siding.
Got back into Alamosa about 2+ hours late.
Had a great time.  Scenery was great.

Too bad that they don't run steam, probably never will.  Luck to run passenger trains these days.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 03/02/17 18:38
Author: Grande473

The railroad is advertising its summer  concert series at the amptheater at the top of the pass. Those trains to the top of the pass will be diesal powered.

Date: 03/02/17 18:46
Author: CaliforniaMachinist

Steam on the SLRG, as stated, has been formally and informally dead since 2013. Last I recall they were battling bearing issues on the 18 when it was last running. 

1744's boiler's in Texas while the rest remains in Alamosa. 

Steam does not seem to be on any of IPH's agendas, minus Texas State to a degree. The focus of Ed Elllis seems to be on Illinois Central passenger consists.......for whatever reason.

Date: 03/02/17 20:11
Author: patd3985

Bob3985 Wrote:
> I rode their steam locomotive once some ears back.
> Can't recall but my mind is thinking #18. It was
> an old LS&I I believe.

I believe it was also the one that ran on the Mt.Hood Railroad in Hood River, Oregon for awhile back around 2006 or 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/17 20:12 by patd3985.

Date: 03/02/17 20:31
Author: displacedneb

One thing about Rio Grande Scenic. Their regular passenger trains will not run on days where insufficient tickets happen. When do you find that out? That day at Alamosa after asking where the train is.

Date: 03/03/17 09:47
Author: Earlk

displacedneb Wrote:
> One thing about Rio Grande Scenic. Their regular
> passenger trains will not run on days where
> insufficient tickets happen. When do you find that
> out? That day at Alamosa after asking where the
> train is.

It pissed me off greatly when they would do that to us, not to mention what it did for the reputation of enterprise.  One of the classics was when a British railfan group showed up to ride behind the 18.  They had booked thier tickets months before.  They were doing a cross country trip hitting many US excursion lines, and used the "new steam on the SLRG" as a selling point on the trip.

When they showed in Alamosa, they found the the day's train was cancelled.  "Sorry, not enough tickets sold.  Here's a credit to ride some other time..."  Of course, no one was ever in the position to use any of the credited tickets.  The group leader who was running one trip a year to the US vowed to never come back to the SLRG or ride any IPH-operated passenger trains.

Date: 03/03/17 09:48
Author: bigjim4life

Is the SLRG considered "in danger", depending on how the current lawsuits go - or is it something that IPH is considering selling?  (To a steam-friendly operator...)

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 03/03/17 10:56
Author: BigSkyBlue

It was reported on TO that SLRG had said the presence of steam power didn't result in any additional ticket sales over diesel powered trains.  So, why bother with the expense of steam.  (Don't flame me..just repeating what was said).   BSB

Date: 03/03/17 13:27
Author: TrackGuy

The current focus of IPH right now is just plain old survival.

TrackGuy

Date: 03/03/17 18:49
Author: sptno

Earl was our engineer when my wife and I rode.  There were some issues getting over the pass so Earl back down, dropped off the rear heavy weight coach.
There was a lady who was wheel chair bound and her husband, she had a ball being carried by big husky men.
We had only one person complaining because he paid for the upgraded coach.
We got into Alamosa late and then we left of several days of fun in Chama.  Kind of scary driving in the dark from Alamosa to Chama though, lions tigers, deer, elk and bears oh my!
All that we can say is everyone was a professional and did the best that they could do due to slipping drivers and flang oilers.
Scenery was outstanding, lunch in La Veta was outstanding.
We would not have ridden if it were behind a diesel.
This area once you get past the desert is quite beautiful.
Too bad because if they were running steam, we would ride again.
It's too bad that these folks don't have a good business model.
They could have parterened with the Cumbres and Toltec, Durango and Silverton, Georgetown loop and had a great Steam in the Rockies adventure.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 03/04/17 00:02
Author: dan

EEE and the curent mgr have siad that most people are motive power  nuetrAl

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds