Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Steam & Excursion > Yreka Western 19 Makes One Last Trip To Montague

Date: 03/07/17 17:41
Yreka Western 19 Makes One Last Trip To Montague
Author: YWRR19

Yreka Western 19 made her last trip to Montague today. From here she will be loaded onto a flatcar and sent to the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Ohio. For those of us who poured uncountable hours, blood, sweat, and tears into this amazing machine this is a bittersweet moment. She looks a bit worse for wear right now. This locomotive has spent the majority of her working life on the Yreka Western (minus a couple trips to McCloud); since 1953 to be specific. It is sad to see a piece of Siskiyou County history leave forever. This will always be Pancho's real home. On the other hand, part of me is glad this whole ordeal is almost over. The reality is she will be going to a good home where she will be much better cared for there than she has been by the current owner of the Yreka Western for the past several years. It's time to start saving money for a trip to Ohio in the future. Until then, this is goodbye Pancho, it was a hell of a ride.

"A steam locomotive is the closest thing to a living being man has ever created."

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/17 17:42 by YWRR19.

Date: 03/07/17 18:42
Re: Yreka Western 19 Makes One Last Trip To Montague
Author: CPRR

Very sad to see her in this condition. What is going to happen to the line itself?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/07/17 19:50
Author: asheldrake

Matt,
​thanks for the posting and picture.  for sure a better place but real sad she is leaving her home.........Arlen

Date: 03/07/17 21:45
Author: jcaestecker

YWRR19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> "A steam locomotive is the closest thing to a
> living being man has ever created."

​Attributed to Walt Whitman, I believe.

-John

Date: 03/07/17 22:43
Author: patd3985

Rode and chased her MANY times in the 70's! Even had a few cab rides! Was there when they filmed "Emperor of the North"!.. Good times were had by all in them old days!

Date: 03/08/17 03:14
Author: LoggerHogger

Here's remembering better times seeing YW #19 in Montague.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/17 03:45 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/08/17 06:54
Author: Frisco1522

I guess if its any consolation, think back to the 5629 and 5632.
It would be bittersweet for me to see 1522 leave, but if it was going to JJJ I would be content knowing it had a good home.

Date: 03/08/17 13:02
Author: lynnpowell

What "motive power" towed (or pushed) #19 to Montague?  Any photos of the actual move?  Any word on the route #19 will take to Ohio?

Date: 03/08/17 13:51
Author: LoggerHogger

Part of the arrangment made between AOS Roundhouse and Court Hammond was that AOS would finance the repairs to YW #21.  Those repairs were completed and #21 was used yesterday to tow #19 from Yreka to Montague.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/17 13:53 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/08/17 21:38
Author: Soo715

Anyone know the routing for sure?  North via Portland or south via Black Butte and Roseville? And when the move will happen?

Date: 03/09/17 07:14

I was told the locomotive will go to Roseville and head east from there. After that, I'm not really sure. As to when it will happen, that's also unknown at the moment. The crews are currently building a ramp to load the 19 onto a flatcar for shipment. Final shipment will depend on how fast they get the ramp built and if it works. There are lots of us locals, including myself, who are keeping an eye out on this whole thing. We'll keep you posted.

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 03/09/17 20:01
Author: RAS

i thought I'd share this view of the YW 19 in better days.... I shot this picture (of marginal techical quality due to my poor college budget for equipment) while working as a volunteer conductor on the YW's Blue Goose excursion train in the summer of 1988 (specific date not noted). On this day, the Blue Goose was spotted at the usual location in Montague as the passengers explored the town when SP's daily southbound Siskiyou Line train approached on the mainline from the north, headed to Black Butte. SP SD40T-2 snoot 8305, a Siskiyou Line regular, led the SP train past the 19 as the crews exchange friendly waves.

​The Yreka Western has always had a special place in my heart, given family connections to the then-General Manager Larry Bacon. My to-be-wife's family was close to him and his family, and she spent her summers during college working as a conductor on the excursion train. Of course, I was always willing to go spend time with her on the job site. Larry was always accomodating of my interest in trains; that's what led to me working as a volunteer this day when I captured this image.

​It's sad to see the current state of the Yreka Western and many of the other items shown in this image. A clean, active #19, SP tunnel motors with full light packages, and strings of clean plate C boxcars.... It's all gone now. It's a not-so-subtle reminder that several decades have passed since this scene transpired.

I can only hope the #19 is well cared for in its new home, even if it is far away from where it really belongs. Thanks to the OP for posting the image of 19 in Montague.

​-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/17 13:12 by RAS.

Date: 03/09/17 20:52
Author: ProAmtrak

Love that shot Rick!

Date: 03/10/17 07:12

Rick thank you for posting your story and amazing photo. Those truly were the "good ol' days." After spending every summer in my childhood riding the Blue Goose during the summer, I went to volunteer and work for the Yreka Western for 4 years. They are some of the best memories I have, and like you, the YW holds a very special place in my heart.

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 03/10/17 19:13
Author: Graybeard1942

I made a round trip to Montague from Chico CA today; it was very long haul for 30 minutes of photography.

What I brought back might be of interest to many YW #19 fans.  I now have the reporting mark for the flatcar which will eventually take #19 to its new home.  The  number is KRL 701223.  If you have ability to track this car on the Union Pacific, you'll know when it is coming to Black Butte.  I will post tomorrow about the progress of building the ramp necessary to load the locomotive onto the flatcar.  Today did not seem to be much of a progress day for the work crew. I expect to return to Montague late next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/17 19:17 by Graybeard1942.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0607 seconds