Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Steam & Excursion > A CNJ 113 Request

Date: 04/10/17 07:59
A CNJ 113 Request
Author: Tominde

I've enjoyed the CNJ 113/115 pics and videos and have enjoyed riding behind her previously.

MY REQUEST:   Can you set up an area in Cresona yard or along some industry spur and have 113 switching RBM&N hopper cars?  Is it possible to "rope off" an area of the yard or around a spur and sell tickets to the photo shoot.  There would not be a train ride.  Simply an opportunity to watch and shoot 113 "at work" in a somewhat more natural environment.  Ideally there would be strings of vantage freight cars, but we know that is not possible.  So let us see 113 do what she was designed to do.    You could sell tickets for morning and afternoon switching, perhaps with different cars or moves choreographed.

Date: 04/10/17 12:02
Re: A CNJ 113 Request
Author: andersonb109

Or;  just do a proper photo charter (Pete, are you reading?) with the loco and the cars you mention. 

Date: 04/10/17 14:39
Author: Tominde

A photo charter is way expensive.

Date: 04/11/17 08:28
Author: cblaz

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A photo charter is way expensive.

For good reason. Let's look at the switching idea you propose: 

1. You have to make sure the 113 group is willing to run the engine. Will you bring in enough people to waste a boiler day or two? You're also going to need some coal and water to switch around all day. I doubt the local fire department is going to let you have their water for free. 

2. Next, you have to make good with RBMN, since you're running on their rails and in their yard. If you sell tickets, they're going to have to get some of the action. Not to mention paying the extra employees needed to direct people in the yard, handle switching moves, etc. 

3. Uh oh. Someone slipped and fell in the yard the day of the shoot. Who's responsible? I doubt RBMN or the 113 group wants that responsibility. Hope you have liability insurance for all attendees. Add it to the ticket price.

4. Let's say 200 people are coming for the event. Where are you parking 200 cars? On railroad property? I doubt it. That nearby church has plenty of parking spots, for a generous donation.  

Etc., etc., etc. A photo charter doesn't fit your budget? You try setting it up. 

- Chris

Date: 04/11/17 08:54
Author: LIL_BUDDY

A photo charter is way expensive.

In most if not all instances you get what you pay for.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/17 09:47
Author: bigjim4life

There's a potentially easier way to go about this.
  • Convince the R&N and the Project 113 group to work together, and let 113 perform the switching duties at Cressona for a day.  Perhaps as a shakedown trial for a series of trips out of Minersville.
  • If that can be worked out, and a date can be made - let fans/supporters of 113 know.  Sell "tickets" (read:  Donations) for some 113 swag and a railfan "pass" for that date (with no real benefits for the railfan other than some swag and a nice pat on the back, thanking them).
  • Allow the photographers/videographers to film the action from public areas that day.  Maybe make a few extra "safe" areas available, and have waivers signed before allowing access to said areas.
Granted, the idea isn't perfect, but that could be a potential compromise to this.

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds