Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Steam & Excursion > Trains Still Stop Here - But Just Not Like This One Anymore!

Date: 04/28/17 02:59
Trains Still Stop Here - But Just Not Like This One Anymore!
Author: LoggerHogger

In this day of fewer and fewer branch lines it is good to see one that hangs on and hangs on strong. While the motive power has changed over the years this train can still be seen stopping here.

The photo we have was taken in February 1947. The train is the Toledo Hauler on Southern Pacific's branch that runs from Corvallis, Oregon over the Coast Range to Toledo, Oregon.

While steam power in the form of SP 4-8-0 #2947 no longer is found at the head end of the Toledo Hauler, the same right-of-way still feels the daily rumble of trains loaded with mostly wood products traversing the rugged Oregon Coast Range.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 03:09 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/28/17 05:38
Re: Trains Still Stop Here - But Just Not Like This One Anymore!
Author: refarkas

This almost looks like a posed scene from a photo freight. Thanks for posting the "real" thing.
Bob

Date: 04/28/17 07:36
Author: WestinAshahr

Very interesting shot! Scott (wp1801) has a print version of this slide that says it was taken by engineer Howard Burnett.

If this is the Hauler, then it's running as an extra because the Toledo operated as #706-705, even in the early 1940's. This shot could also be of the Flynn Turn.

In any case, at least the sign survives!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 07:40 by WestinAshahr.

Date: 04/28/17 08:53
Author: Tominde

Neat shot. Is that a hat in the lower left foreground. A hat on the ground, or another photographer? Perhaps there was some staging to the photo.

Date: 05/01/17 13:59
Author: donaldcurtis

I sent this picture to the resident SP elder statesman in Oregon, R.I. Melbo. Here is his response:
"Neat picture. I agree with you that it's not likely the Toledo Hauler since it's running as an extra. I've got Timetable No. 140, effective October 19, 1947, here in the office that shows schedules for second class trains 706 (eastward toward Toledo) and 705 in the opposite direction. No. 706 was due out of Albany at 6 a.m. and had a 6:40 a.m. time at Corvallis Jct. This, as you suggest, is more likely a Wrens Turn or a Cheshire Turn."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds