Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP #18 to visit Laws, CA under steam

Date: 04/28/17 13:33
SP #18 to visit Laws, CA under steam
Author: mleland

Since I searched TO and didn't see this posted:

It's official, Southern Pacific 18 is going on the road.

Here is the official press release.

The Carson and Colorado Railway and Laws Railroad Museum are excited to announce the return of Southern Pacific engine #18 to the only remaining SP narrow gauge track for the “Slim Princess Reunion” September 22-24, 2017 at the Laws Railroad Museum in Bishop, CA. For the first time in 63 years, Engine#18, a 1911 Baldwin steam locomotive that is permanently housed in Independence, CA and which has recently been returned to operation, will operate numerous trips over track it once called home. Passengers will have the opportunity to ride behind engine #18 in the Espees iconic “crummy” #401. The weekend operations will also include Death Valley RR Brill Car #5. In addition to the regular operations, an exclusive night photo shoot will be held on September 22 that will include multiple photo opportunities, including side by side photos with sister engine SP #9. Due to the limited number of rides, tickets will be available for advance sale. Exact pricing, times, tickets and much more information for the Slim Princess Reunion will soon be available at carsoncolorado.com and lawsmuseum.org

There are some pics of the car work being done to prepare for this event at the link below.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,327678

Date: 04/28/17 15:48
Re: SP #18 to visit Laws, CA under steam
Author: patd3985

So how much track do they have to operate on? I couldn't find any reference to the travel distances for the event.

Date: 04/28/17 16:04
Author: callum_out

They're traveling to Laws on a trailer, there's maybe a total of 3/4 of a mile track still in place
at Laws (that includes yard and main).

Out

Date: 04/28/17 17:15
Author: LoggerHogger

Count me in and I will see you there. I never thought I could ride the Keeler Branch and here is my chance!

Martin

Date: 04/28/17 18:19
Author: crackerjackhoghead

patd3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So how much track do they have to operate on? I
> couldn't find any reference to the travel
> distances for the event.

Measuring, on Google Earth, the longest stretch was 1,137 feet.

Date: 04/28/17 18:21
Author: atsf121

Crud, I'm just going to miss this. We are going fishing at the family spot on Bishop Creek for the first time in years in August. Would love to see this, hope they can do it again in the future. As a kid we would drive through Lone Pine on the way to Bishop and I always wondered if the locomotive on display could be restored. Glad to see that it was.

Nathan

Date: 04/29/17 07:54
Author: A-1

I think this is a much more fitting maiden voyage than the Colorado trip they were going after. Way to go, C&C!

Date: 04/29/17 11:47
Author: Westbound

Having passed through there a few times over the years, I liked to visit the #18 in what was always a very nice but quite lonely little park. In fact, that whole area is pretty remote and lightly populated. For skilled workers to rehabilitate a locomotive in that location, is remarkable. My congratulations for making this great little 4-6-0 serviceable!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds