Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Local Power Waiting For The Through Freight To Pass!

Date: 05/18/17 00:40
The Local Power Waiting For The Through Freight To Pass!
Author: LoggerHogger

The signals were simpler in the days of steam power as we see in this fine view. Just a semaphore at the depot would handle much of what the crews needed in their daily routine.

The location is Ontario, California in the 1940's and Southern Pacific #1795 waits patiently as Cab-Froward #4117 and her freight passes on the mainline. Once the articulated has gone the crew of #1795 will go back to their switching chores.

Again, simpler times, and fascinating motive power.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/17 00:53 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/18/17 05:12
Re: The Local Power Waiting For The Through Freight To Pass!
Author: P

For many reasons, thank you for your daily post of these gems. The commentary is appreciated very much as well.

I'm too young to have seen everyday steam, but having grown up in a rural area in the 70s and 80s, I can identify with a photo like this that illustrates what would now be called a boring life. I don't agree, but many would view it that way. In a small town, the railroad evoked mystery and made kids wonder about a world unknown to them further down the line.

These posts are very much more than a neat train photo.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/18/17 05:28
Author: refarkas

This captures so much of what was lost through the passage of time. This is a "gem" of a photo.
Bob

Date: 05/18/17 05:58
Author: goneon66

anybody how the movements were authorized on the main track back then in this photo (ctc, abs train orders?). great pic........

Date: 05/18/17 06:46
Author: gbmott

A lot to like in this photo, not least the SR 40' narrow-door boxcar. For those of us above a certain age these were so common as to not cause any notice whatsoever, yet a couple of years ago a friend at the AAR did an UMLER search to see if any remained in interchange service. It seems like there were about half a dozen, but none had a recorded revenue movement in several years at that point and were presumed either retired, stored or converted to company service. It was another example of something once so common that we never really noticed when they were no longer there.

Gordon

Date: 05/18/17 08:36
Author: tomstp

Sure brings out a sigh!

Date: 05/18/17 09:32
Author: Narniaman

Brings back some memories. . .

As a child I lived in Ontario in the 50's -- one block from the UP mainline and three blocks from the SP mainline.

I remember steam on the Southern Pacific in the early 50's, but no cab-forward units. I don't remember any on the UP, save a large locomotive being towed.

Thanks for the memories!!

Date: 05/18/17 09:37
Author: BAB

Looking at the building and surrounding area its very neat and clean the building looks more like one on a model railroad great photo and that face on the cab forward is my favorite.

Date: 05/18/17 09:59
Author: OCVarnes

The indicators display 2-822 which means the train is a scheduled freight train. However, many times the trains operated behind schedule shown in the timetable for various reasons.

I'm not an expert on timetable and train order operations, but I believe that the local could have been issued a train order, or orders, to clear for 2-822.

Additions or corrections appreciated.

OCV

Date: 05/18/17 18:38
Author: atsf121

Love the atmosphere of the photo.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds