Home Open Account Help 185 users online

Steam & Excursion > Need help on 4449 route

Date: 06/12/17 17:20
Need help on 4449 route
Author: shipsbell

I am re posting here so my thank you will be seen instead of buried.
Thank you all for your information, I do not expect to pace the train
for the reason stated in the emails. I am hopping to get to some
of the location shown here. I am aware that Doyle is more concerned with his
customers as I would expect. Again thank you all for taking the time to help me.
Patrick (shipsbell)

Date: 06/12/17 19:39
Re: Need help on 4449 route
Author: nycman

If you photograph the return trip on Sunday, I would recommend the Crooked River Bridge, easily accessible, and produces a great photo.

Date: 06/12/17 20:57
Author: shipsbell

NYCMAN, I plan to follow it to Bend and stay with friends, where is the "Crooked River Bridge"
Patrick

Date: 06/12/17 21:18
Author: nycman

Take route 97 north and after you pass Terrebonne, look for Peter Skene Ogden state park and get off there, to the left of the highway. It should be obvious where the bridge is, and take a look at the third photo down in this thread from a couple of months ago for a terrific pic of it by Ed Burggraf.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4264828,4265023#msg-4265023

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/17 21:20 by nycman.

Date: 06/12/17 22:21
Author: train671

Jim is right about the Peter Skene Ogden Park right off of Highway 97. As I recall this location
would be a Sunday morning shot ONLY as the 4449 is returning back to Portland. The sun should be
at an angle at that time of the morning to produce a nice glint shot and if cloudy you will still
have a great shot. The Saturday afternoon shot would be right into the sun. It would be helpful
to scout out the Peter Skene Ogden Park after the 4449 arrives into Bend so you can see what location
best suits you. The engine will be moving fast so you won't get more then one set-up position at this
location. Another thought is to catch the "other high bridge", Willow Canyon Trestle, which is just
off highway 97 near Madras. The Willow Canyon Trestle is several hundred feet above the bottom
of the canyon BUT has a paved two lane road that passes right under the Trestle. Easy to get off of
Highway 97 and get to the west side of the Trestle and then get a great shot looking up at the 4449
passing right above you. Get this shot on Saturday afternoon and the the shot at the Crooked River
Bridge on Sunday morning and you will have two world class photos to be very proud of.

On the way to Bend,OR., the 4449 will pass over the Willow Canyon Trestle FIRST and then travel
about 30 miles further before passing over the Crooked River Bridge. Good luck.

Date: 06/13/17 03:56
Author: LoggerHogger

Don't miss this bridge on Saturday afternoon as we come into Bend. The shot is great.

You park your car and walk around the rim on the west side of the bridge and shoot east. The sun will be at your back and you get the whole canyon in view below the bridge.

This gives you an idea what you can get for an image.

Martin

Date: 06/15/17 17:17
Author: Seventyfive

Does anyone know when and where the train will be wyed ? Thanks for your help.

Date: 06/15/17 17:56
Author: HotWater

Seventyfive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know when and where the train will be
> wyed ?

Yes.

Date: 06/23/17 23:28
Author: Seventyfive

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seventyfive Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone know when and where the train will
> be
> > wyed ?
>
> Yes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds