Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Steam & Excursion > #4449 schedule question

Date: 06/22/17 04:49
#4449 schedule question
Author: Rainier_Rails

Okay, I'll keep this simple:

I've done some research (BNSF and Amtrak timetables) and looking through other posts here on TO, and I've answered one of my two questions already:

Checking the current BNSF timetable, the current "passenger" max speed on the western half of the Fallbridge Sub is 70 MPH. Based on previous posts here by those in the know that said that #4449 would go "in excess of 60", I take this to mean that it will be allowed to do every mile of that maximum authorized speed of 70, unless someone can tell me otherwise. Other posts indicated that the departure time from Union Station would be 8:30 in the morning on Saturday. Based on lots of previous experience with how long it takes the "Builder" to reach the location in the Gorge I've selected to wait at, the eastbound #4449 should pass by at about 10 in the morning, barring any delays, including waiting on an Amtrak Cascades (which has a scheduled 8:20 departure time from Union Station) to clear.

That leaves Sunday. Based on the 2012 trip, about how much time will it take the westbound #4449 to traverse from Bend to say, Bingen? (Bingen is several miles to the east of the location I've picked out, so an estimate for Bingen will give me a workable window.) If an estimate can't be given, I'm prepared to wait several hours at my predetermined location.

Thank you in advance for any estimates/advice.

Date: 06/22/17 07:17
Re: #4449 schedule question
Author: Todd

Yes, The Daylight can run at the Amtrak speed. We will run mostly at the freight speed as this works well with the BNSF. This is a special train.

Date: 06/22/17 08:01
Author: MP733

There are a few miles of 70 mph track east of Washougal, and also between Lyle and Avery, but most of the run is 55-60 mph. With temporary speed resrictions due to tie work, and with restrictions due to the heat we are expecting, we might not make it much over 50 mph.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/17 17:40
Author: CPRR

MP733 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are a few miles of 70 mph track east of
> Washougal, and also between Lyle and Avery, but
> most of the run is 55-60 mph. With temporary speed
> resrictions due to tie work, and with restrictions
> due to the heat we are expecting, we might not
> make it much over 50 mph.
>
> Posted from Android

Dang, not fast enough to burn the carbon off the valves!! Got to get the rpm up to do that.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/23/17 02:56

Thank you for the replies. Given that the #4449 will be going about 20 miles slower than I had calculated for, I'm adding on about 30 minutes to my previous time estimate for when it's likely to pass my predetermined location, from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM.

Now, given the extremely hot conditions on Sunday (forecast is calling for 100!), I may not even be around for its return trip, and instead I might find somewhere cooler to go...perhaps a day trip up to Government Camp/Timberline is in order (no trains but much cooler).

I am looking forward to Saturday (a few degrees cooler, with that nice river breeze!)

Date: 06/23/17 05:38
Author: Auburn_Ed

You can still do Government Camp and THE WAY BACK from Bend! Just turn left at Madras.

Ed

Date: 06/24/17 02:25

Of course, the forecast has changed somewhat, and Sunday is now only projected to reach a high temp of 95 instead of 101, so I might wait around for the return trip to pass by after all. We'll see what ends up happening in terms of the actual temps. Hope everyone who's out following the trip later today and tomorrow has fun and stays safe! Oh, and yes, for those of you on board, have fun as well!

Date: 06/24/17 03:25
Author: cchan006

Rainier_Rails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That leaves Sunday. Based on the 2012 trip, about
> how much time will it take the westbound #4449 to
> traverse from Bend to say, Bingen? (Bingen is
> several miles to the east of the location I've
> picked out, so an estimate for Bingen will give me
> a workable window.) If an estimate can't be
> given, I'm prepared to wait several hours at my
> predetermined location.
>
> Thank you in advance for any estimates/advice.

I did the Sunday chase 5 years ago (October of 2012). I would suggest you NOT get too precise in your estimates, because there will be regular freight traffic along the Deschutes River Canyon, and if there's a train long enough, the 4449 might have to sit in a siding. There may be "unplanned" runbys, which would ruin any estimates based on straight running out of Bend.

Waiting too long and feeling anxious is one of the worst feelings to have when waiting for a train. Hope your Saturday chase goes well, so you can come with contingency plans based on that day's chase to avoid that on Sunday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds