Just plain awesome!

Date: 07/04/17 07:18
Re: SP # 18
Author: Milepost_130

Thanks for sharing!

Date: 07/04/17 08:18
Author: kilroydiver

Hopefully they get the funds raised to build some more track.

Dave

Date: 07/04/17 08:48
Author: PHall

That's a lot of white handrails.

Date: 07/04/17 20:09
Author: Hillcrest

What that really is in fact, is a bunch of hard workin' SOB's who pulled off an amazing feat..and they're not done yet.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 07/05/17 10:43
Author: DocJones

Over the years I passed by the 18 in Independence by car, motorcycle and bus. On family trips the park was a regular stop for rest and lunch.
After so many years it's really heartwarming to see it under steam. Great job, guys.

Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones Sierra Madre CA

Date: 07/05/17 18:31
Author: LJohnson

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a lot of white handrails.

It's fine what's your locomotive look like?
Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/17 18:32

PHall Wrote:
> That's a lot of white handrails.

It's fine what's your locomotive look like?
Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 07/06/17 13:33
Author: johnsweetser

PHall wrote:

>>That's a lot of white handrails.

Luke replied:

>It's fine ...

No, it's not fine. The lettering and the smokebox door also look white. Why would those people do this?

Date: 07/06/17 18:38

johnsweetser Wrote:
> PHall wrote:
>
> >>That's a lot of white handrails.
>
> Luke replied:
>
> >It's fine ...
>
> No, it's not fine. The lettering and the smokebox
> door also look white. Why would those people do
> this?

Because it's there's !
Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 07/06/17 18:57
Author: Brasspounder

johnsweetser Wrote:
> PHall wrote:
>
> >>That's a lot of white handrails.
>
> Luke replied:
>
> >It's fine ...
>
> No, it's not fine. The lettering and the smokebox
> door also look white. Why would those people do
> this?

I'm sure with your expertise and guidance if you would have pitched in some labor, or donated to the cause, you could have helped steer them in the right direction. Otherwise, it's pretty darn cool that something like that happened that hasn't happened in that valley for so long. Good for them!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/07/17 10:20
Author: zscale

Well unfortunately you can't please everyone and if you try to you'll drive yourself crazy. Perhaps some white paint on the tires? If we're worried the paint is not correct, the new drilled main reservoirs should just be replaced with the riveted reservoirs that have holes in them and the main reservoirs placed on top of the boiler like she was when the NCO owned her. In fact all that old hardware that had square heads should probably be replaced too. Why on earth would we use modern hex fasteners? Many pieces of railroad equipment through out it's course of life undergo many changes in appearance. Who's to say it may go back to SP aluminum/silver? If there is one constant in the railroad industry it is called change. This locomotive and project really started back in the mid 1990's by the name of Myron Alexander. Myron was keeping the locomotive painted, cleaned, a stack cap installed, insulation removed from the boiler and rods greased while it sat in Dehy Park with help from other Owens Valley residents. I am proud of what we accomplished in the park by many of us who volunteered our time and skills to make this locomotive FRA compliant. I speak for the entire organization and thank all who have supported us and donated throughout the years to make this happen. We hope more people can attend the Slim Princess Reunion event that is being held at the Laws Railroad Museum September 22nd thru 24th and will include rides on SP narrow gauge rolling stock. In addition we will also be having a night photo shoot. Details are being finalized on the photo shoot and we will release more information then.

Charlie Cross
Carson & Colorado Railway Board Member

Date: 07/07/17 10:31
Author: JimBaker

How many feet of track do they have to run on?
Can't see much in Google Satellite view.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/07/17 10:43
Author: wingomann

It's great to see the #18 restored.

As far as the white paint on the handrails - the organization and the people doing the painting get to decide what they want. Remember it's only paint. It can be easily changed. The important thing is that we are seeing an ex-SP narrow gauge steam locomotive under steam again. NICE!

By the way Charlie, I know you were being sarcastic when you talked about the hex head hardware, but if you really care about the fasteners you can get square head bolts and nuts from McMaster-Carr. I did that for a restoration I did. Just an FYI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/17 10:46 by wingomann.

Date: 07/07/17 13:54
Author: nycman

Well said, Charlie. Here are two shots of her taken back in March 1993 just for contrast. Wonderful job you folks have done.

Date: 07/07/17 14:07
Author: zscale

You are 100%. Mcmaster has most anything you need however you will pay dearly for it. Most square head bolts start at around $2 for a 1" shank 1/4" to 3/8". Very expensive when youre filling your nut and bolt bin. Not to worry, all hardware is double nutted(another RR practice) however it is not as secure as compared to a lockwasher. Thanks for catching onto the sarcasm, too many in this industry or hobby take things so serious all the time. It's suppose to be fun and at the same time safe.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0974 seconds