Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Steam & Excursion > Talkin' Stack with SP 4449

Date: 07/05/17 23:11
Talkin' Stack with SP 4449
Author: OneToOne

First, hi everyone! I'm normally a lurker who is content just to read and view all the board has to offer - including all of the excellent footage so far of the trip to Bend and back. But I figured maybe this time I might have something worth sharing as well...

Having been told at Portland Union Station that only passengers were allowed on the platform (times have changed since I last visited) I decided to try my luck at getting video of the Daylight's departure a from few blocks down track. The location I picked on a spur-of-the-moment hunch wasn't particularly scenic. And my video skills aren't particularly good. Yes, I know a tripod would have been helpful.

But the sound? Well, put on the headphones, TURN UP the volume, and listen as the engine crew wastes NO time getting the 4449 up to speed after a late start!

Some ambiance to make it seem more special:

With morning heat already rippling off the ground and the train still out of sight, we first hear the hum of transformers in the background. Then a few quiet chuffs off in the distance - and is that a bit of hissing from the cylinder cocks? A telltale steam plume and whistle announce 4449's arrival. A bug flees the scene as "more atomizer, more fuel" is demanded with every piston stroke bringing more available combustion draft - and a louder bark. The velocity up the stack increases and the color eases to a light haze (HOT water!) as the locomotive turns toward us and picks up speed - exhaust blasts echoing off the walls of the "warehouse canyon". Pay no attention during the roll by to the unfriendly message painted on the concrete block. The smiles and friendly waves from those on board (thank YOU) are more uplifting. As the Silver Solarium disappears into the distance, the day's chase is on!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/05/17 23:36
Re: Talkin' Stack with SP 4449
Author: asheldrake

love the echo....thanks for posting your video Arlen

Date: 07/06/17 00:36
Author: Odyssey

Thanks for the post!

Ya done good given the situation ... I was in the Silver Splendor Dome car
and from the back portion of the consist, the 4449's whistle was eerie ...
great that you captured the sound on the "front" side ... nicely done!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 07/06/17 04:41
Author: funnelfan

That was some sweet sound indeed!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/06/17 04:45
Author: HotWater

VERY NICE!!!!

You can thank Fireman, and President of Friends of SP4449, Pat Tracy for that "light haze" at the stack as Doyle accelerates out of town.

Date: 07/06/17 07:14
Author: Frisco1522

Is that a GS4 whistle? THAT'S the way to leave town! Nice video.
I didn't realize it got that hot out there.

Date: 07/06/17 14:52
Author: 6088

Can I get a "Dayum"! The only other time I heard stack talk like that was 3751 climbing Miramar grade into San Diego on the Aprico trip!

Date: 07/06/17 15:13

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that a GS4 whistle?

Yes Don, that is a REAL GS-4 whistle, obtained by Martin Hansen (Loggerhogger), and it even still had the air operated cylinder assembly (SP GS and AC classes had air 'on-off' operated whistles, just like the air horns)

THAT'S the way to leave
> town! Nice video.
> I didn't realize it got that hot out there.

Date: 07/06/17 16:39
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

That was a perfect spot to record the 4449 leaving town.
You got some incredible stack talk! WHAT a BARK!!
And those echoes..... Pure music!
Pat and Doyle both did a superb job!

Date: 07/07/17 05:39
Author: Chooch

I would have given anything (well, almost anything) to have seen and heard that lovely machine climbing up Mirimar Hill on it's way into San Diego. WOW!

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 07/07/17 09:39
Author: tehachcond

WOW! VERY nice!

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 07/07/17 09:45

Chooch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have given anything (well, almost
> anything) to have seen and heard that lovely
> machine climbing up Mirimar Hill on it's way into
> San Diego. WOW!
>
> Jim
> Hatboro, PA

I'm not familiar with THAT hill, but I suggest you purchase a copy of the late David Goodheart's video (Goodheart Productions) "Shasta Daylight", and watch & listen to 4449 on Hooker Hill at 70+ MPH.

Date: 07/07/17 12:44
Author: gaspeamtrak

WOW ! Thank you for sharing that amazing video !!! :):):)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds