Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Steam & Excursion > WMSR 1309

Date: 07/09/17 16:51
WMSR 1309
Author: Buttons2013

A new Facebook video was posted by the WMSR recently. Looks like the tubes are going in based on the equipment. While I don't think the locomotive will be done for September it does look like work is progressing slowly but steadily.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/17 03:54
Re: WMSR 1309
Author: ut-1

I searched the WMSR's FB page but can't find the video, could you provide a link please?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/17 04:21
Author: andersonb109

Assuming it's not ready for the September photo event, what are their plans for refunds? They can't just assume everyone who booked can attend a make up date and the November event is sold out. Further, people such as my friends from the U.K. who have booked need to book their flights soon in order to get a decent fare. And once booked, they are non-refundable. Does anyone at the railway who sold this event so early without the loco even being completed understand this? The rule of thumb on any sort of tour or photo charter is that the go-no go date is generally 60 days prior to the event so people can make transportation and accommodation plans. That date is coming up soon. Basic rule of steam charters...NEVER sell tickets until the loco is proven to be road worthy or until the railway has approved the event. Sure, it can develop mechanical issues later. But in this case, it isn't even out of the barn.

Date: 07/10/17 04:54
Author: PlyWoody

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Assuming it's not ready for the September photo
> event, what are their plans for refunds? They
> can't just assume everyone who booked can attend a
> make up date and the November event is sold out.
> Further, people such as my friends from the U.K.
> who have booked need to book their flights soon in
> order to get a decent fare. And once booked, they
> are non-refundable. Does anyone at the railway who
> sold this event so early without the loco even
> being completed understand this? The rule of thumb
> on any sort of tour or photo charter is that the
> go-no go date is generally 60 days prior to the
> event so people can make transportation and
> accommodation plans. That date is coming up soon.
> Basic rule of steam charters...NEVER sell tickets
> until the loco is proven to be road worthy or
> until the railway has approved the event. Sure, it
> can develop mechanical issues later. But in this
> case, it isn't even out of the barn.

You better put plan B in effect and visit Cass and Durbin 2 hours down the back valley road via Keyser and tie into route 28. Your English friend will enjoy the Shays under steam on 8% grades. (By the way it is not 11% grade)

Date: 07/10/17 05:09
Author: HotWater

The latest advertisements concerning #1309, are now showing "By popular demand, second section added! Nov. 7-9, 2017". I wonder if 1309 will even be ready for those dates?

Date: 07/10/17 06:05
Author: Buttons2013

Buttons2013 Wrote:
> A new Facebook video was posted by the WMSR
> recently. Looks like the tubes are going in based
> on the equipment. While I don't think the
> locomotive will be done for September it does look
> like work is progressing slowly but steadily.
>
> Posted from iPhone

https://www.facebook.com/Wmsrsteam/posts/10155398057247970

Date: 07/10/17 06:30
Author: co614

With all the credible warnings that there have been here and elsewhere everyone has had ample warning that the advertised operating dates for the locomotive were highly doubtful and thus anyone making arrangements based upon those dates was taking a calculated risk that they'd beat the odds and be in service by those dates.

I remain of the opinion that next spring is a more realistic time frame for this complex restoration to be finished and the bugs worked out of her so she's ready for service but that's just my somewhat educated ( by having paid for several of these exercises) observation. It is remotely possible that she'll be up and running late this year and it's also possible that you'll win the next power ball lottery.

Anyone making non-refundable reservations on this at this point are clearly betting against the odds.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 07/10/17 07:05
Author: Tominde

I clicked on the link for FB but did not see a recent 1309 update. Saw a video of business car 204 needing $1.3 million to refurbish. That is not even to Amtrak certification! OUCH.

Date: 07/10/17 08:03
Author: CPRR

So I asked my wife about this trip(?) she knows NOTHING about steam locomotive restoration. She said "hell no, you do not sell tickets until it works right"

See even a non railroad nut/professional agrees with Ross. They never should have never said a thing about excursions until proven with a couple of break in runs.

Glad I am not betting on this one.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/17 08:18
Author: njfrn

I'm waiting until a seasoned charter operator like Pete Lerro schedules an event with the 1309. I trust him to suss things out before selling tickets. Even so, any special excursion, steam or diesel, is always a bit of a roll of the dice, even with the best of operators. Best to be flexible.

Date: 07/10/17 10:00
Author: upheritage6

This thread reminds me of when everyone was debating whether 844 would be done in time for 2016 Cheyenne Frontier Days.
Some went to say he was the worst in the industry.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/10/17 10:07
Author: HotWater

upheritage6 Wrote:
> This thread reminds me of when everyone was
> debating whether 844 would be done in time for
> 2016 Cheyenne Frontier Days.

Until outside contractors and HUGE amounts of money were spent on 844, only then was it "done in time" for the CFD Special.

> Some went to say he was the worst in the industry.

Well, he still is "the worst in the industry"!

Date: 07/10/17 10:22
Author: wmbrakeman

this will be a P R nightmare if they don't give notice soon ,

especially for those with air travel , i had reservation for july 2 suppose to be up and running ,

no one called about 1309 not being up and running , took me calling to find out after looking at web site ,

Date: 07/10/17 10:39
Author: Realist

upheritage6 Wrote:
> This thread reminds me of when everyone was
> debating whether 844 would be done in time for
> 2016 Cheyenne Frontier Days.
> Some went to say he was the worst in the industry.
>
>
> Posted from Android

3 years and millions of dollars to repair something he broke himself is hardly anything to brag about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/17 17:19 by Realist.

Date: 07/10/17 12:16
Author: PERichardson

wmbrakeman Wrote:
> this will be a P R nightmare if they don't give
> notice soon ,
>
> especially for those with air travel , i had
> reservation for july 2 suppose to be up and
> running ,
>
> no one called about 1309 not being up and running
> , took me calling to find out after looking at web
> site ,

I'm sure the railroad couldn't care less if some people eat a cheapo air ticket. Just buy a full fare ticket and get a full refund if you have to cancel.

Date: 07/10/17 13:32
Author: wcamp1472

Re: Ross Rowland 'earlier post...

Long Ago and far away, in the Spring of 1968, while NKP 759 slumbered in Steamtown (Vermont), High Iron Co. ( Ross's excursion operator) published flyers and sold tickets for the Niagara Falls, overnight trip with the 759....well in advance of the August '68, first fire-up....

That was WAAAY before Bob Adams, GM of GMR, had arranged to get her moved...

Ross planted the Flag, we HAD to produce....the trip was SOLD OUT!!!! In a week....
Until Joe Karal & Doyle, that May, walked into the Conneaut Rounhouse, & saw the 759 -------that timetable was very uncertain....
Joe, the Best Boilermaker, had rebuilt that engine, 10 years earlier... his smile and his genius, is what backed up, Ross's Big Gamble.

And that's the story of how you plant the flag, before she's turned a wheel...promised and produced ...we did it.!!!!
God works in mysterious ways, I'm sure that a lot of this stuff is not pure 'chance'...

W.

Sorry , Ross, but I had to tell the story...
Thank you for your trust in our little team..." The Can-Do Boys from New Jersey".....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/17 13:38 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/10/17 14:18
Author: jst3751

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Assuming it's not ready for the September photo
> event, what are their plans for refunds? They
> can't just assume everyone who booked can attend a
> make up date and the November event is sold out.
> Further, people such as my friends from the U.K.
> who have booked need to book their flights soon in
> order to get a decent fare. And once booked, they
> are non-refundable. Does anyone at the railway who
> sold this event so early without the loco even
> being completed understand this? The rule of thumb
> on any sort of tour or photo charter is that the
> go-no go date is generally 60 days prior to the
> event so people can make transportation and
> accommodation plans. That date is coming up soon.
> Basic rule of steam charters...NEVER sell tickets
> until the loco is proven to be road worthy or
> until the railway has approved the event. Sure, it
> can develop mechanical issues later. But in this
> case, it isn't even out of the barn.

Once again, your post and thoughts are not based upon reality.

Reality Check:
1) Any/All/Every excusion no matter who/what/where/when/why is subject to cancelation and or change.
2) The probability of a change/cancellation goes up as the frequency of the excusion goes down.
3) Anyone making expensive risk taking plans to see an excusion MUST ALWAYS have a backup plan.
4) There have been posts 3 months ago indicating that 1309 may not be ready by the advertised September 2017 dates.

Date: 07/10/17 14:32
Author: wcamp1472

Let others be the risk-takers...no need to rush into this..
Let the early runs be the 'test' runs...
If she's good, there'll pleny of opportunity to enjoy it...in future runs

Most folks who are antsy, are picture-takers, any way...trying to get the 'scoop'...pay them no mind.

It's better to take the time to get it RIGHT, than to rush it.

"Never time to do it RIGHT; but, always time to do it OVER...". Is a famous adage....avoid amateurish longings...

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/17 17:12 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/10/17 16:54
Author: wmbrakeman

they really should care , this could be the only vacation for the year , and airline is not all that easy yes they give you a year to use that ticket , trip insurance nothing there if 1309 is not running , we give you cash back ,

it exciting to think that 1309 will be running , but on other hand , probably would had been better for financial move RR to say no ,and to focus on rebuild 734 , and rebuild business car .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.094 seconds