Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Steam & Excursion > McCloud 25

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/11/17 21:16
McCloud 25
Author: nycman

McCloud 25 is alive and well, and looking good at the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. Unfortunately she was undergoing a boiler wash today and we did not get to ride behind her. Good crowds at the OCSR and a lot of steam preservation going on there.

Date: 07/11/17 21:58
Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad
Author: Milepost_130

In 2014, we managed some fine images of McCloud Railroad 25 at OCSR.

Date: 07/11/17 23:52
Re: Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Milepost_130 --
That is a superb photo!! Stunning!!
IOTD candidate!! beautiful.....

nuycman --
Thanks for the nice photo of the #25,
it shows off all t=the details very well,
which is not easy to do with a steam
locomotive. Si glad to hear that she is
doing well at the Oregon Coast Scenic RR,
and that the OCSRR is attracting good
crowds.

Date: 07/12/17 03:35
Author: wcamp1472

Re: the pic on the bridge...

It would be NICE if he would burn some of that fuel!!

Why be over-firing it, on "the flat" with virtually no cars....
All that black smoke is released, but unburned fuel, 'carbon chains' and CO (carbon monoxide).

The BFO*: the fuel valve is open too much for the draft...amount of air available...

I've not fired oil steamers, so why the NEED for all that black, trailing cloud of soot?

New fireman trainee ?
Wrong fuel?
Stuck-open firing valve?
Soot-coated boiler tubes?
Closed air dampers?
Trying to "sand the flues" with little, no exhaust draft?
Combination of all of the above?

Something ain't right !!!

W.

* Blinding Flash of the Obvious

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/17 03:40
Author: LoggerHogger

Wes,

As you know, the photo run-by is not intended to recreate a steam train being operated for the benefit of the old time accountants who wanted fuel saved. While that was true railroading, the drama of the engine working hard is what is being created for the cameras.

That has been the case since the first run-bys were done back in the age of steam. We still do them that way for the same reason today.

The run-by in Milepost130's post above was on one of my charters. The paying professional photographers wanted smoke and I was more than glad to accommodate them.

I have attached a photo from someone else's charter with me firing. Yes, this is a run-by and they asked for a lot of smoke. We are in the business to give our customers what they want.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/17 04:01 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/12/17 04:04
Excessive Smoke
Author: Milepost_130

Thanks, Martin. To be sure, for the image of McCloud Railroad 25 at milepost 835 on the OCSR, we did request smoke. That said, steam locomotives often produce smoke, particularly when working hard, as evidenced by N&W 611 at Blue Ridge, Virginia in May, 2016:

Date: 07/12/17 05:25

Martin & NYCman
Please accept my sincere apologies!!

Being a fireman for Ross, the "High Iron Days", I've hammed-it-up my self---- with "3 safeties" up ---all at once ---, black coal smoke, extreme whistling, bell ringing constantly, wide-open stoker, full sanders, cylinder cocks, etc.---- everything but yellow safety vests...

So, I been there, done that, Tee shirts, galore, too,,

It's a fine show that our paying customers were owed!

Thanks for the clarification --- NOW, it's a splendid portrait & show!!
Well done... That's what pays the bills, too.

Again, I misunderstood and ASSumed I knew the circumstances...

I deeply apologize...

Do many more of them.. It's worth the show--- also, that's A Great Portrait--- the reflection on the water is spot-on !!!

W.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/17 06:39 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/12/17 06:13
Author: LoggerHogger

Wes,

No need to apologize. It is good for folks to know why certain things happen on today's steam railroads.

Martin

Date: 07/12/17 06:47

We exist by one reason only;
Pleasing our customers, fans & families.... Without them there'd be no support for what keeps us hot, running & Rolling...

Many thanks..

W.

( ancient Arabic apology:
" May I quake forever, amongst the camel turds in the desert, for having affronted you, Sahib!")

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/17 07:12 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/12/17 07:07
Author: BAB

I can still remember my first steam chase in the late 80s I think with 8444 coming west from Huntington OR towards Baker OR waiting on a hill some miles away.

Date: 07/12/17 07:39
Author: McCloud25

Wes:

While Martin has answered your question, I am the guilty party. On that trip and others I have worked on the OCSR, we cater to what the group chartering the train wants. On one of the last run bys of the day in Batterson, we called on the radio for what type of stack color they wanted. The response back was "The burning of Rome." I didn't achieve that but we did fill the whole valley with black smoke for about 10 min. Here is one of Martin's photos of that run by.

Brandon

Date: 07/12/17 09:31

Good Job, Brandon!

Working with the folks that pay you for their pictures and photo ops, is the path to financial and customer security.

There used to a time when museum & tourist RRs would
not be supportive of customer
wants, even though they were
being paid for it.
Bad Arrogance.

So, it's vital that our $upporter$ have good experiences..... Otherwise, we'd be in a downward spiral!
Thank you for putting the customer at the top of your business priorities--- exceeding expectations!!

Folks on your team can be very proud of your support & focus on customer satisfaction....
A key benefit of such customer-centered service, is that it can lead to developing cutious newcomers to the field of steam operations.

I, likewise, got started, putting the camera down, when as volunteer (nearly 50 years ago) ----my labor & work was appreciated, by the little RR's excursion operator ----- it's the cultivating of new, curious , fans that is the REAL value of
providing a "Good Show".
We always need more Brandons coming on board.

Thank for a fine example of Good Customer satisfaction....
PLUS, the attractive photos are good for enticing MORE, fresh customers.... As well as being good advertising.....
as the pictures get good circulation...

Give yourself a pat on the back!! For furthering the advancement of "welcoming" steam operations !!

W.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/17 06:02 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/12/17 11:51
Author: wag216

I have said this a few times in the past, have you written the check yet? If not, shut your mouth! wag216

Date: 07/12/17 14:56
Author: nycman

If you want to view a video of Brandon's smoke-making ability, from that trip in 2010, go here
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3071274,3071274#3071274

Date: 07/12/17 15:07
Author: HotWater

I consider myself a pretty damned good Fireman, since the fall of 1962. I have performed photo runbys on SP 4449, UP 8444/844, and UP 3985, and always felt that I "put on a good show" smoke wise. However, there is no way I would EVER "blacken the sky" deliberately like that. Now sure as hell someone will post of photo of a time or two when I screwed up, and put out that black whipped cream, but again it sure wasn't deliberate.

Date: 07/12/17 18:14
Author: callum_out

No big deal, they run by the beach, lotsa sand available!!

Out

Date: 07/13/17 09:33
Author: coach

That McCloud #25 is such a handsome little engine.  Really good looking lines.

Date: 07/13/17 11:17
Author: Ardenwood

nycman, thank you fora beautiful shot.

Here is a non-runby smokey shot.

Date: 07/13/17 11:25
Author: HotWater

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nycman, thank you fora beautiful shot.
>
> Here is a non-runby smokey shot.

No fair including photos of SP&S 700.

Date: 07/13/17 12:43
Author: Ardenwood

Sorry, HotWater I don't think it was firing, it probably was the water.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1201 seconds