Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Steam & Excursion > The next piece from the T-1 trust

Date: 07/16/17 22:25
The next piece from the T-1 trust
Author: Finderskeepers

The T1 Trust along with Curry Rail Services are pleased to announce the realization of the cab for PRR T1 #5550. Slated to become the fastest thing on thirty-two wheels when finished, PRR T1 #5550 is no mere replica or restoration project, but rather the next locomotive in the PRR T1 duplex class.

In a homecoming of sorts, the cab for PRR T1 #5550 is shown here at Curry Rail Services in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania. Pennsy faithful will celebrate the fact that the cab for 5550 was built in the former PRR Samuel Rea Car Shops, now occupied by Curry Rail. Among a growing list of T1 Trust corporate sponsors, Curry Rail is the premier provider of locomotive products, freight car repair and car manufacturing for the railroad industry, additional details can be found by visiting the Curry Rail website at www.curryrail.com

The new T1 is a team effort, and a special thank you is also owed to defense contractor and T1 Trust Corporate Sponsor JAKTOOL of Cranbury, NJ. JAKTOOL (http://www.jaktool.com/defense/) spent hundreds of hours converting archival PRR blueprints into the CAD model used for construction of the cab. This CAD model was then sent to Gemini Industrial Machine in Dover, OH. Gemini (http://www.geminiindustrial.com/) also a long-time sponsor of T1 Trust, used an extremely precise CNC waterjet cutter to produce the parts for the cab. The parts were then shipped to Curry Rail where final assembly culminated in expert welder Eddie Martin fabricating a piece of history.

This photo taken at Curry Rail Services in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania the week of July 10, 2017 shows (L to R) Mark Ritchey, President Curry Rail Services, Zach Hall, T1 Trust Representative, Eddie Martin, Chief Cab Fabricator, Curry Rail Services

Date: 07/17/17 08:56
Re: The next piece from the T-1 trust
Author: King_Coal

Pretty cool!

Date: 07/17/17 13:42
Author: Mgoldman

VERY cool!

Glad to see this project moving along and creating a lot of
excitement in the process. Absolute worse case scenario, we
have a lot of new museum pieces for display, but I'd buy a
ticket to ride today, despite the wait!

Saw that pic on FB, but thanks for sharing!

/Mitch

Date: 07/17/17 14:23
Author: callum_out

Mitch, and I have great hopes for this "Hail Mary" program, ride it where?

Out

Date: 07/17/17 17:44

viewed from the rear, the cab is even more impressive...

Date: 07/17/17 22:42
Author: wabash2800

What kind of metal is the cab constructed from?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/18/17 01:42

It says on their website that the pieces are water jet cut from aircraft grade aluminum

Date: 07/19/17 06:33
Author: NKP779

This is getting serious...........

Date: 07/19/17 22:52
Author: wabash2800

So, was the real locomotive cab made from that material, and if not, why are they making it out of aluminum?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Finderskeepers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It says on their website that the pieces are water
> jet cut from aircraft grade aluminum

Date: 07/20/17 10:51
Author: jointauthority

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is getting serious...........yes seriously a waste of money lol

Posted from Android

Date: 07/26/17 12:48
Author: wcamp1472

Re: Aluminum Loco parts...

Toward the end of steam
Loco production, a hallmark of "modern" engines was the use of aluminum.

According to advs in the '46 Loco Cyclopedia, NYC 4-8-4,
Niagaras had aluminum cabs, jacketing, running boards, and smoke deflectors.

Ross's ex-C&O 4-8-4, 614 has aluminum cab, jacket and similar pieces,

The extant CP G5 class ( post WW2) Pacifics
have aluminum cabs, with steel lower sections, steps to the ground. The running boards and skirts are aluminum, as well.

In today's world, I suspect that the T1 Trust engineering staff went with materials as specified in the original drawings...
Makes all sorts of sense...

Building a new T1, is as much of an aberration, as even operating steamers AT ALL, in the 21st century. It's a great project that reflects on the era that was the pinnacle of American manufacturing skills and engineering....

Aircraft, stamped metal
( & plastic) automobiles, appliances etc. electronics, soon became our major manufacturing outputs...
Much of which soon was sent to other countries for fabrication, brought back for hefty mark-ups and heavily marketed
( as throw-away consumables) for consumers...

So, this endeavor partly seeks to bring current planning and manufacturing economies to recreating a dynamic, dramatic example of what we did & what we can STILL do...

As I've said, it's design and operational flaws are known, easily remedied and benefit from modernized materials and methods.

Watch our progress, $upport the endeavor and join the crowd at the dedication...

W.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/17 12:56 by wcamp1472.

Date: 07/26/17 19:17

I guess my question Wes is did the T-1 have an aluminum cab? I suspect not, but I could be wrong. Would the weight difference make any difference to the balance of the locomotive? I'm sure the aluminum cab is much easier to transport around as a marketing tool for the project, I figured that was the reason for the substitution, but maybe she did originally have aluminum parts?

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds