Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Steam & Excursion > NS selling excursion coaches

Date: 07/21/17 20:49
NS selling excursion coaches
Author: CPR_4000

Date: 07/22/17 07:34
Re: NS selling excursion coaches
Author: Tominde

This concludes the 21st Century Steam Program. NS may accept proposals from accredited parties regarding future steam operations.

Date: 07/22/17 07:53
Author: tomstp

Hate to see the coaches being sold.

Date: 07/22/17 08:55
Author: CPR_4000

I guess this should be no surprise as the program's "angel," Wick Moorman, has retired.

Date: 07/22/17 14:28
Author: ProAmtrak

Sad to hear, glad I made my trip to Roanoke when I did back in May!

Date: 07/22/17 16:29
Author: ctjacks

These coaches look great from the outside, but inside have issues - they have uncomfortable commuter seats that don't rotate, the luggage racks are gone, and their restrooms aren't great. I don't think there will be that many takers, unless NS wants to donate them.

Chris

Date: 07/22/17 21:59
Author: illini73

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These coaches look great from the outside, but inside have issues - they have uncomfortable
> commuter seats that don't rotate, the luggage racks are gone, and their restrooms aren't great.
> I don't think there will be that many takers, unless NS wants to donate them.

While donations are most welcome, the problems you cite are cheap to fix compared with truck, brake, electrical and air conditioning work. Also, the cars will be cheap to move, since they're obviously Class I-roadable on their own wheels. A mechanically sound car is worth something, as the recent disposition of the circus train cars shows. Any museum or tourist railroad trying to meet the public demand for railroad "preser-tainment" (e.g., Day out with Thomas, Polar Express, etc.) would be happy to have these cars.

Date: 07/23/17 09:44
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Remember, too, few tourist/museum rides even come close to the length or duration of a fantrip. Toilets and luggage racks are not all that important if your ride is 60 minutes or less.

I suspect, however, the winning bid will be submitted by one of their steam program partners (VMT, TVRM or FWRHS) since they relied on these cars to fill out their fantrip consists. This will make them a high priority for acquisition, more so than for your typical tourist or museum operation.

NZ

Date: 07/24/17 17:06
Author: NSDTK

Steam program was killed when the CEO changed, They are just now selling the coaches, Not exactly breaking news on the end of the 21st century program

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds