Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Steam & Excursion > Running For Water, A Scene Reserved For The Age Of Steam!

Date: 08/12/17 03:04
Running For Water, A Scene Reserved For The Age Of Steam!
Author: LoggerHogger

It is a shame that so many beautiful vistas were lost in the conversion from steam to diesel. The scenes left for photography in the diesel era were certainly far fewer than those available when steam locomotives ruled the rails.

One such timeless scene of steam railroading was captured by John Krause as he stood trackside at Belliville, Mississippi in the 1950's as Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern 2-6-2 #250 scurried past him on this low trestle headed for the much-needed water tank just down the track.

Baldwin built the trim little Prairie for #28,500 in May 1926. She would serve this line well until being retired in October 1961.

Diesels just don't provide us with scenes like this.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/17 03:14 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/12/17 08:06
Re: Running For Water, A Scene Reserved For The Age Of Steam!
Author: steamfan759

The #250 had an extended career on the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern in Pennsylvania. My parents took me and my brother to see and ride behind her in the late 1960's. She later moved on to the Wolfeboro Railroad in New Hampshire. Two close friends of mine worked on that tourist line in New Hampshire. She now resides at Edaville in poor condition, but at least she is still with us!

Ron

Date: 08/12/17 18:19
Re: Running For Water, A Scene Reserved For The Age Of Steam!
Author: Lurch

Steam engines and water tanks, keeping the tradition alive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds