Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Steam & Excursion > It Did Not Take Railroads Long To React On This Infamous Day!

Date: 08/18/17 03:49
It Did Not Take Railroads Long To React On This Infamous Day!
Author: LoggerHogger

Daily life in America certainly changed on December 7, 1941 following news of the Japanese attack on the U.S. Navy base at Pearl Harbor. No industry changed faster than the nations Railroads.

This simple order issued by the Southern Pacific to it's trains originating at Merced, California shows the seriousness that was given to the threat of attack or espionage here in the 48 States.

President Roosevelt would not declare War until the next day. However, the Southern Pacific already knew that a State Of War existed and it was already taking precautions to protect train movement.

The next 4 years would put the SP and all the nations railroads to the test, and they would pass with flying colors.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/17 03:57 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/18/17 08:10
Re: It Did Not Take Railroads Long To React On This Infamous Day!
Author: hogheaded

How many of we "youngsters" on TO's got similar messages on 911? Thanks, Martin.

EO

Date: 08/18/17 08:17
Author: HotWater

As a side note, concerning December 7, 1941, the New York Central just happened to select that date (obviously in advance) to announce the new streamlined Empire State Express, passenger train, with an appropriately matching shrouded Hudson. Obviously all the hype surrounding the ESE, was lost to the events surrounding Japan's surprise attack!

Date: 08/18/17 15:50
Author: MojaveBill

I was the first in our family to hear about that on my grandmother's big Philco radio.... Never forget!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/18/17 16:34
Author: agentatascadero

I'll add my thanks for the posting of this order given on The Day off Infamy.....Never Forget!

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 08/18/17 19:14
Author: TonyJ

Somewhere in my files I have a SP telegram dated around Dec 20th explaining how hard it is to comply with Coast Guard "blackout" orders to put out all the lantern lights on the Reedsport Drawspan (Coos Bay Branch) and be able to re-light them in time before a marine craft reaches the bridge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds