Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Steam & Excursion > Wow, that's sad...

Date: 09/14/17 08:00
Wow, that's sad...
Author: wcamp1472

Many years ago, in the summer of 1968, JJJ came to the old NKP roundhouse in Conneaut....

He came every weekend, while NKP 759 was being restored to service... He did every hard, dirty job that we
gave the volunteers .... With gusto and verve...

His favorite words to us were:
"What's next!!!"
It was never his question
It was his mission.

He was quiet, industrious and friendly.
All The qualities of a true SteamMan....

I never realized the Sparks we ignited in JJJ that summer; but, soon his industrious nature became a Blaze of Innovation.

He was a stand-alone industrious, preservation genius.

Last year, at this same AoS NKPTHS tour & gathering, he & I reignited our friendship..... He instantly recognized me, after what, 59 years?

He was the same gregarious Jerry that lit up Conneaut...
I'm so glad that High Iron's passion led to a lifetime spark of creativity in Jerry..,, Ross's little team was like that---- people with strong self-motivation and drive were always welcome!

Somewhere, deep inside Jerry, he established a personal relationship with " his engine", NKP 759.
It's a mysterious bond that develops, personal, inspirational and lasting.

That summer in 1968 was magical,,,, and now we've lost a fine student and smiling "magician" in his own right!!!

A favorite passion of his was polishing up the rusted siderods of 759--- it was a hard, muscle soreness job.
He would take a break, admire his progress, then go right back at it ....
They still glisten!

Somehow, he passed his enthusiasm on to so many others. Thank God, he did.

His passion continues to Burn Brightly!!

Thank you, JJJ...
You were a rare and true friend!

Soon, a lot of the original "Conneaut Crew" will join you in that Roundhouse in the Sky.

Rest in peace, Jerry, your friendship is legendary & Matching your love of Steam.

Farewell, dear friend....Your passion brightened my life immensely... Thanks for that gift.

Wes Camp
&
The Whole HICO Crew...

Posted from iPhone

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/17 08:32 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/14/17 14:38
Re: Wow, that's sad...
Author: LarryDoyle

I knew him only by reputation, which you have eloquently outlined. Thanks for your outstanding tribute.

-John

Date: 09/14/17 15:02
Re: Wow, that's sad...
Author: feltonhill

Wes,

What a moving tribute!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds