Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > WM Refund Status....still waiting

Date: 09/15/17 07:54
WM Refund Status....still waiting
Author: andersonb109

Here we go again. Just asking if there are any others out there who haven't received their refund checks. I have several friends who have...over two weeks ago. And the office told me mine was sent out on Sept. 1. But still nothing. While it could be lost in the mail, I was told they were checking into it and would return my call. That was 4 days ago. The woman who answers the phone is very nice but as no power or info. to do anything. She just keeps saying it has to go through their Business Manager. This is no way to run a business. Sure, it's "only" $500 but they have been holding that since March 16, probably knowing all along the loco wouldn't be ready in time. Any revised dates in January or February don't fit my schedule. So anyone else who is having the same issues, please send me a PM. Thanks.

Date: 09/15/17 13:19
Re: WM Refund Status....still waiting
Author: Spoony81

Well this was posted over on RYPN.org yesterday. Looks like they still need 530,000 to finish 1309 so don't hold your breath on a refund

Email sent to subscribers 09/13:

September 13, 2017

Steam! Smoke! The sound of a locomotive hard at work in the mountains. It's close at hand -with your help!

We are nearing completion of what will become a landmark restoration, one of the most impressive restored steam locomotives in the United States. For the last four years, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad has been rebuilding Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 No. 1309 for our 17-mile mountain railroad between Cumberland and Frostburg, Md. When it's finished and in operation, this last steam locomotive built by Baldwin in 1949 for domestic use will once again be in regular service, pulling excursions, hauling special photography trains, throttle time, and much more. It will be one of the biggest steam locomotives - almost a half million pounds! -
- ever restored. Best of all, it will be operating dozens of days each year for the enjoyment of people like you.

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and the state of Maryland have invested $1.8 million in the locomotive that will take over from our No. 734, which is now out of service for a federally required overhaul. A final $530,000 is needed to complete additional repairs to No. 1309. The railroad is committed to completing this impressive locomotive, but to do it in a timely manner and in time to celebrate the railroad's 30th anniversary in 2018, we need your help now. This project literally cannot happen without you.

You can make a difference in the final push to restore No. 1309.
Your support is key!

Please consider a generous donation to push us over the top. A donation of size is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance for your support! Your generous donation will be used to complete the final phases of the restoration process. You can donate online at www.wmsr.com, call us at 800.TRAIN50 or mail a check to:

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
13 Canal Street
Cumberland, MD 21502

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/17 13:20 by Spoony81.

Date: 09/15/17 17:15
Author: CPRR

$2.3 million total? Can a excellent independent accountant look over the money in, money out please?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/17 17:58
Author: co614

I'd have to agree with Spoony in that they're publicly saying that they're out of funds and unless they can raise another $530k they won't finish the job.

I highly doubt that they'll be issuing any more refunds.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 09/16/17 05:52
Author: jkh2cpu

I told them to keep it. I'd like to see that
machine run while I'm still here :-)

A lot of us who can afford to blow 500 bucks on
this lark can afford to kiss it goodbye. It's
an investment (crap-shoot), sorta like the stock
market, but with less sharks involved :-) I
figure that I'm only out half what this would have
cost (travel and lodging not included in that
$512).

John.

Date: 09/16/17 06:30
Author: Oldtyme

Well I've rebuilt heavy equipment all my life...One thing I learned long ago was any rebuild usually cost at least 3X the original price estimate...Appears to be about the same rule regarding steam locomotives??!!

Date: 09/16/17 07:06
Author: Frisco1522

I DO find $2.3 Million a bit hard to wrap my head around. Think about how much money that is. Like a previous poster, maybe a financial colonoscopy could fins some cracks that money fell through.

Date: 09/16/17 08:44
Author: Buttons2013

The mismanagement of funds in regards to this project and the railroad are mind boggling. Hey guys we have zero steam locomotives operating. Let's sink tons of money into buying random rail cars and repainting others for no reason other than the new manager doesn't like maroon and gold...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/17 14:25
Author: Realist

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I DO find $2.3 Million a bit hard to wrap my head
> around. Think about how much money that is. Like
> a previous poster, maybe a financial colonoscopy
> could fins some cracks that money fell through.

UP spent well over $3 million on the 844's boiler wash.

Date: 09/16/17 14:26
Author: HotWater

Realist Wrote:
> Frisco1522 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I DO find $2.3 Million a bit hard to wrap my
> head
> > around. Think about how much money that is.
> Like
> > a previous poster, maybe a financial
> colonoscopy
> > could fins some cracks that money fell through.
>
> UP spent well over $3 million on the 844's boiler
> wash.

Obviously a LOT is dependent on the contractors used!

Date: 09/16/17 14:53
Author: PERichardson

I wouldn't donate a penny to these guys until they publish an independent audit covering every day since the 1309 left Baltimore. I'd bet there would be some sudden changes of staff.

Date: 09/16/17 16:18
Author: steamfan759

It appears that there have already been changes in staff and management. I would love to donate to the cause, but I have some serious reservations on the background of this restoration. It looks like my major donation this year goes back to the WW&F in Maine. I can always see what is being done with the donations that they receive every year! I wish the WMSR the best. I get an email from them every week about another diesel trip or a dinner train. They are doing what they can to raise funds from what I can see.

Date: 09/16/17 18:04
Author: wpfan

steamfan759 Wrote:
> It looks like
> my major donation this year goes back to the WW&F
> in Maine. I can always see what is being done
> with the donations that they receive every year!

WMSR used to post their non-profit tax returns online for all to see, a common practice among non-profits. That is, at least, until the current leadership took over.

Date: 09/17/17 11:38
Author: SD70M

I wasnt overly struck last year when they would not accept a non-US credit card. Not a great idea, if you are trying to get tourists on board, many, like me, who may be from overseas.

Date: 09/18/17 09:02
Author: jst3751

SD70M Wrote:
> I wasnt overly struck last year when they would
> not accept a non-US credit card. Not a great idea,
> if you are trying to get tourists on board, many,
> like me, who may be from overseas.

Spoken like some one not familliar with what goes on in the back ground for credit card processing.

The fees associated with accepting out-of-country credit cards is about double what normal fees are, and with greater risks.

Date: 09/18/17 09:25
Author: jbwest

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I DO find $2.3 Million a bit hard to wrap my head
> around. Think about how much money that is. Like
> a previous poster, maybe a financial colonoscopy
> could fins some cracks that money fell through.

I have only followed steam loco restorations as an outsider looking in, but the $2.3 million figure does not sound unreasonable for me give the magnitude of the project. This is a BIG engine. I have seen figures of around $1 million for much smaller engines being done by low priced in house labor. The WMS has an outside contractor involved, which is probably appropriate given the scale of the project, but also adds in an additional substantial level of cost (contractors are not cheap). Moreover, if you expect perfection and no wasted motion (money) you are setting yourself up for disappointment because people are not perfect, shit happens. It is a cost of doing business. I'm not real happy with some aspects of how WMS handled all this, and do think it appropriate for them to publish more info and be as transparent as possible (including publishing their financials). But I did let them keep my $500 ticket price in the hopes that maybe just maybe someday the 1309 will emerge and put on a good show for us.

JBWX

Date: 09/18/17 12:35
Author: CO2707

Is there any truth to this?

steamfan759 Wrote:
> It appears that there have already been changes in
> staff and management. .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds