Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Steam & Excursion > A surprise encounter in Milano Centrale

Date: 09/19/17 05:50
A surprise encounter in Milano Centrale
Author: johnacraft

A recent Sunday found us arriving Milano Centrale after an overnight journey. We had a layover from 5:40am or so until 8:10am, so we exited the train and did what one does on a layover: coffee, breakfast, coffee, restroom, coffee . . .

A few minutes before 8:00am we make our way to the platforms to find our train. While reading the departure board, I slowly become aware of what sounds like safety valves lifting. "That can't be right . . ."

Date: 09/19/17 05:53
Re: A surprise encounter in Milano Centrale

Sure enough, there is a steam excursion consist getting ready to depart. Travelers are taking photos, and the engine crew is inviting people into the cab for photos.

Date: 09/19/17 05:56

The excursion departs on time at 8:00am. We find our train and are soon on our way.

I hope the excursion train fared better than our regular service train: our brief scheduled stop in Genoa became an hour-plus delay. When the Italians started taking their baggage and getting off the train, we followed, and made our way to our destination on local trains. (We later found out our train never left Genoa, so we made the right decision.)

Date: 09/19/17 06:12
Author: railwaybaron

No you made the wrong decision! The right decision would have been to join the steam excursion. I'm sure my countrymen would have found a place for your party. Capuchino anyone?

Date: 09/19/17 07:59
Author: OKTrainboys

EXCELLENT STORY! That was a true needle in a haystack. Tisk, Tisk, lifting safeties at a station platform, time to nudge on the injector. What is that, a little Mogul? And isn't the engineer a fine fellow with his cap!! Was The excursion well patronized?? Superb!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds