Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Steam & Excursion > Where Is She Now?

Date: 12/06/17 08:19
Where Is She Now?
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

I took this photograph a long time ago.
I wonder if that Santa Maria Valley RR #21 made it into the 21st century?

Date: 12/06/17 09:18
Re: Where Is She Now?
Author: KD6PYD

A quick search using Google reveled this:
http://www.astoriarailroad.org/steam/Baldwin.html

Keith

Date: 12/06/17 09:18
Author: utwazoo

According to the link in the previous post, it's under restoration at Astoria, OR

Date: 12/06/17 09:31
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is her frame in 2013.

Martin

Date: 12/06/17 09:44
Author: WP-M2051

Photo was taken in Greenbrae, CA, on a spur off of the NWP at Doug Morgan's railcar rebuilding facility.

Date: 12/06/17 11:02
Author: patd3985

utwazoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the link in the previous post, it's
> under restoration at Astoria, OR

And what is the road to hell paved with?...

Date: 12/06/17 13:03
Author: g-spotter1

On their website there are photos of some work being done as recently as 12-2. There are photos of new crank pins being fitted. Steam restoration is hard, donate rather than heckling, unless you are directly involved with the effort.

Date: 12/06/17 15:33
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

And what is the road to hell paved with?...

Well Patd, to answer your question= The political road is paved with good intention;
however, a historic railroad being restored is paved with love, anticipation, and a caring about out future dreams linked with our past, so get on board.
Says I.

Date: 12/07/17 13:40
Author: hotrail

g-spotter1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On their website there are photos of some work
> being done as recently as 12-2. There are photos
> of new crank pins being fitted. Steam restoration
> is hard, donate rather than heckling, unless you
> are directly involved with the effort.

Well said! Bravo!

Date: 12/07/17 14:16
Author: NP2626

I visited her about 7 years ago. The new tender was done and the boiler and firebox were seated. It's taking them a long time with just a few guys involved with her.

Date: 12/07/17 19:38
Author: Jsporseen

Having lived in that area for 29 years, I can absolutely guarantee that the restoration. Is taking place in Astoria. The FastLube in the picture is on highway 101. Anyway, it has been a slow process and I moved to Portland seven years ago so am not very current about it.

Date: 12/07/17 20:07
Author: Jsporseen

The web site needs serious updating as the rail line between Portland and Astoria was severed in the massive 2007 hurricane and has never been repaired. East of Astoria to about 20 miles east is completely unusable and all trestles would need total replacing as well as all track that would need work. Will never be done unless there is an urgent need for more freight traffic and that is unlikely. With the current political climate, money will probably never be available for almost anything.

As far as I know the last traffic into Astoria were two RDCs during the Lewis and Clark bicentennial. For a while oil trains operated to Port Westward and currently trains serve the log sorting yard west of Rainier. Maybe some freights to Clatskanie, I’m not really sure about that however.

When and if #21 is ready to roll it will only have a mile or two of track that is usable and that is used by the City of Astoria for their trolley.

I wish the best for for ARPA but am not holding out a lot of hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/17 20:31 by Jsporseen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds