Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Steam & Excursion > Here's The First View Of Polson Logging #2's Sucessful Test Run!

Date: 12/16/17 15:15
Here's The First View Of Polson Logging #2's Sucessful Test Run!
Author: LoggerHogger

I just got back from our successful test run of Polson Logging #2 out of the blimp hanger in Tillamook and down into town. She ran great and we will be glad to put her into service on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad next spring.

For the run yesterday, I fired yesterday and Scott Gordon (flash34) ran the engine. That's Scott on the left and me on the right.

I jumped off for a couple of run-bys when I saw the sun come out. That is engine owner Skip Lichter firing her for the run-bys. He was all smiles.

More photos tomorrow.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/17 16:58 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/16/17 15:37
Re: Here's The First View Of Polson Logging #2's Sucessful Test R
Author: Milepost_130

Lovely! Thanks.

Date: 12/16/17 16:45
Author: callum_out

That return to service was pretty quick and the "spruce up" looks really nice. Great too see the engine serviceable
and out West again.

Out

Date: 12/16/17 16:49
Author: monaddave

OK, I'll bite. What's with the covered pilot on No. 2?
Dave in Msla

Date: 12/16/17 17:03
Author: Hillcrest

The pilot is wood and is finished "Bright" (in marine parlance)and I believe the cover is to protect the varnished finish.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 12/16/17 19:13
Author: nycman

Looking forward to visiting next year to ride behind this engine in service. Good job, everyone.

Date: 12/16/17 21:24
Author: grizzledgary

Well before anything had been discussed concerning a settlement with Mid-Continent I had called Skip and asked if he had considered moving #2 elsewhere. At that time he pretty much ruled out that idea as something he was not inclined to pursue for various reasons. I'm happy for him and all concerned that after all he was able to take #2 to the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad. I was fortunate to visit this operation in their early days and had a great experience.

As OCSR has continued to expand their roster while improving infrastructure and expanding operations it seems a good place for #2 to call home and I'm looking forward to getting back to spend a couple days there at the earliest opportunity. On the other hand, bearing Mid-Continent Railway Museum no ill will while understanding some of the challenges faced by that organization I also have no desire to return until some difficult changes occur.

Date: 12/17/17 01:18
Author: Finderskeepers

Did they get her generator fixed? My sources tell me it was only putting out about 2 volts, but other than that a pretty successful outing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/17/17 16:34
Author: Chooch

On automobiles they call them "Grille Bras." I suppose on steam engines you would call them "Cow Catcher Bras".

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 12/18/17 13:51
Author: callum_out

Streamlining to compensate for the high speeds being run.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds