Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Steam & Excursion > It's all part of the job

Date: 01/29/18 06:24
It's all part of the job
Author: Bob3985

As I grow older I have started to try to incorporate images of the people of the railroads performing their duties as this is a part of railroading as much as the locomotives and equipment are. Thanks to all who keep the wheels turning. Here are a couple of photos I took while riding the Cumbres and Toltec last October with all my friends from Iowa and around.

In the first photo My good friend Jeff is taking on water to help quench the thirst of the mighty iron steed he is helping operate.

In the second photo we see the crew performing a function necessary in all steam operations which is blowing the boiler down to reduce the sediment within and extend the life of the boiler and its crew.

In the third photo, back in Chama, a crew works on the 455 over the pit getting it ready for the next days duties.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/29/18 06:31
More; It's all part of the job

While heading down to Chama we drove the highway along the Cumbres & Toltec to see what we could. Here are a few more employee photos taken that day.

In the first photo my friend Carlos is preparing to take water on the 455 at Cumbres.

In the second photo we see the proud crew, Carlos and Tracy, before they were about to depart Cumbres for the downhill run to Chama. The mechanical staff man is looking under the locomotive to try and see where the noises they heard in the cab came from.

In the third photo we caught the maintenance crew loading rock into their ballast car to go perform their maintenance duties on the railroad.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/18 05:28 by Bob3985.

Date: 01/29/18 06:43
More; It's all part of the job

Finally here are three more photos on the Cumbres taken the day before our ride.

First is the ballast train, having unloaded their ballast, heading back up to Cumbres to reload, seen in a previous photo.

Second, the ballast train having cleared up, the passenger train had arrived at Cumbres and had taken on water. Here Carlos and another employee inspect the 455 regarding a concern that Carlos had heard on the way up. As you saw the 455 was shopped upon arrival, inspected and repaired.

And lastly I include a photo of the 455 arriving at Cumbres in a scene I so much like every time I go down their with my friends to ride the train.

Thanks to all on the Cumbres, in the field and offices, for their dedication and great operation that I do admire.

Do I miss operating steam? Yes on occasion, but it is still around for me to enjoy from the sidelines.

Thanks for joining me on a look at those folks who make the railroad run.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/18 11:56 by Bob3985.

Date: 01/29/18 11:30
Re: It's all part of the job
Author: santafe199

Image #3 is really cool! If we could just imagine that modern steel light pole had a pair of goose-neck lamps it would be perfect...

Lance

Date: 01/29/18 14:54
Author: RNinRVR

Nice series Bob, in the first shot you caught them taking water at Los Pinos tank, something not done very often.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/18 14:54 by RNinRVR.

Date: 01/30/18 05:32
It's all part of the job

Over the past few years I have become good friends with Jeff and Carlos. Last trip down there, after we got into Chama and they had tied up for the day, we met to discuss steam locomotives and operations. They are a great pair of friends.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/30/18 08:40
Author: Earlk

I am proud to say I hired Carlos in the late 1980's along with Jeff and Tracy in the 1990's. They are still at it keeping the traditions and skills of narrow gauge steam railroading alive.

I salute you guys. Carry on.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0775 seconds